What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wii, don't like it

• Thread starter larry
  • Start date
Hilarious new name for the console formerly known as Revolution. Made too many funny jokes already, no need to repeat.
smile_m_32.gif

Wii, needs a better name

I am a huge gamer and planned on camping out in front of best buy for the PS3 and the Revolution, but because of the new name I am having second thoughts.  That has to be the stupidest name ever.  And in the press release they made puns like "Together Wii will change everything".  Its like a bad joke.
-Nick

Gameshark.com says that ii in japanese means friend ship or somthing like that. the two i's are supposed to represent the controlers(which look realy wierd). so it may just be representory. they will probably change the name again. Nintendo Wii just doesnt have a ring to it. besides its a japanese name. they always change them in to american(except for Pokemon
smile_n_32.gif
)...always!
smile.gif

Alex

Nah, Gamespot said they chose the name specifically because it wont need to be changed no matter what laguage it's in. So I'm sure America will get a Wii... LOL you can't even talk about the system without makeing a joke.

I agree its the stupidest name ever given to a console, but I'm still gonna be in line to get one. You just can't doubt Nintendo's quality games or their awsome ideas.

See, I don't know why people are freaking out.
I actually like it. Revolution was a cool name, but, hey.

Wanna talk DUMB names? "Xbox 360." 360? Um... OK. I understand that there was a reason but um... Hello!?

If you're not going to pick up a console just because of it's name, then you're a darn fool. Period. I'd buy a console called "The Enema" if it I liked the system and games.

Furthermore, I actually rather like the name. At first I though "uuuuuuuhhh... oookay..." like everyone else, but after reading posts of furious (read: ridiculous) people, I realized "who CARES?" I like that it's not an acronym, and I like the image that the letters make. And I rather like its adaptability. People are making jokes, but I don't view that as a good thing, I like something I can joke with.

Case in point: Snakes on a Plane.

I like that they're doing something different: that's what the console is ALL ABOUT. That, in essence, is what Nintendo stands for.

But at the end of the day, if you really care that much, then you've got bigger worries than the name of a video game consol.
biggrin.gif

I just feel that Revolution was the perfect name for the console. Nintendo is truly the leader in innovation within the video game industry. With the new consoles ability to download games and the new controller design it was truly a revolution in video gaming. Instead of using a name that describes the system and its intent they picked some stupid letters that have no meaning. To me it is a failed attempt to be cleaver and the puns they use are nauseating.
Thats just how I feel.

We should form a CP gaming clan
-Nick Z.

I'm with Est on this one.

Not to mention, it's actually an incredibly INTELLIGENT name, at least from an advertizing perspective.  In this sort of business, ALL talk is good talk.  The more people make jokes, the more people will hear about it, the more people will possibly BUY it.

I foresee lots of destruction and injuries due to this new controller. You are to "toss" the controller like a football when playing a football game. Well, I know that people will be so caught up in the action they'll release it like a real football. The remote goes flying towards that expensive new HD plasma tv
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I know kids will be smacking each other in the face unintentionally when they're required to wield the remote like a sword or swing it like a bat. Oh the possibilites of carnage hehe.

Who cares about the name??? It could be called (insert something obsence here) for all it matters.

Games = Importance

I think that Nintendo is WAY underestimated. I'm betting they'll take second spot in this next console war. (Sony looks like its gonna bite the dust)

*shrugs*

I'm getting used to the name I guess, it's unique in it's own way. But man the games for it are gonna rock, and let's not forget that Nintendo's systems have been cheaper than the others lately. ;)

PS2 = $300
Xbox = $300
Gamecube = $200
(At release)

Save $100 dollars on your next gaming experience by switching to Gei- err Nintendo.

*sigh* I can picture my room right now, crowded by all three of the next gen consoles. Too many! And they're expensive as hell! Why must video games be so much fun?

They should all come together and make one awesome system called... The Wiistationbox! Infinite fun for everyone!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I foresee lots of destruction and injuries due to this new controller. You are to "toss" the controller like a football when playing a football game. Well, I know that people will be so caught up in the action they'll release it like a real football.

There's one of the more common misconceptions: you wont be throwing your hand over your shoulder while holding the controller to throw a football. You wont be swinging your arms wildly to slash at your enemy with a sword. The idea isn't to have a virtual reality experience in that sense. The movements that will be made will be much smaller movements, they know that flailing about isn't something that can be done in all cases safely, and that in the long run it could lead to problems.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Instead of using a name that describes the system and its intent they picked some stupid letters that have no meaning.

Well, you can't say that the letters have no meaning. They create an image (in the literal sense, I'm not speaking symbolically.) Revolution was always just the project name; Nintendo has told us that there's a lot of info about the project that is unreleased, here's just one piece of it.

So much fury. lol

i admitt Nintendo has always been my favorite systems and their names have always been sorta consistant. gameboy, nintendo, super nintendo, game cube, DS(dual screen) and now the Wii. i think we are so used to these names that are similar to each other that we couldnt appreciate what it will realy do! for al we know they may change the name of PS3. regaurdless of the name i am still going to get one! NENTENDO RULES!!!! *mario-theme plays*
alex

EDIT: The names if you look at them are more younger person names. my 6 year old brother knows the nintendo systems but none of the sony or microsoft systems. its just something we ave all grown up with.

Back