What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little Shop of Horrors

Hey folks,

I've gotten word that the 1960's black and white carnivorous plant horror-comedy, The Little Shop of Horrors, has been restored and made available on DVD. The DVD includes the original B&W version, a colorized version, audio commentary by MST 3K's Mike Nelson, and even a photo gallery contributed by yours truly. The web site is legendfilms.net. Very cool---my copy of this movie has terrible image quality, it will be good to have a better version!

Later!

Barry

That movie was a GAS man! I look forward to seeing the colorized version. I liked the movie better than the musical. I was fortunate to see a stage performance last week done by the University students here and it was a pleasure although they leaned heavily on the movie production version. I strongly recommend that y'all see the original movie, it's a hoot!

The movie is cool but personally I am against colorizing black-and-white movies.  I hate it.  B&W film was never meant to be color.  Film-makers back in the day set their stages and lighting in a way to accommodate for the lack of color in the finished film.  It was an art!  They translated the color before their eyes into contrasting blacks, whites and greys with great skill and technique.  To slap flat color over b&w just sucks.  B&w films have a grace and simplicity that can't be dupicated with color film.

Long live black-and-white film!  Let it be what it is.

Ok...off the soapbox now.  
smile_l_32.gif

That said, that new DVD sounds cool...especially with your photos!  That's quite a horror!--I mean, HONOR!
smile_n_32.gif

I'd love to see it! I've only seen the 1986 version, with the SNL characters. "Feed me...."

You know, I was pretty cautious about the colorized version as well, and talked to a few folks about whether I should support it. The general takehome message I got was that for some films, B&W medium was used carefully and beautifully, as in the great films like Citizen Kane, etc. But some films, like Little Shop of Horrors, were just filmed in B&W because that's all they had, and for such films colorization was not blasphemy.

HOWEVER, even if you don't approve of colorization, I note that the DVD has two versions of the movie---a restored B&W, and a colorized version. So even if you just want a B&W version, this might be an excellent choice.

Later!

Barry

I didnt know their was a black and white. I only have the musical!

Ill have to check out the clasic one...

Cheers

In the musical the best scene when Audrey flowers was omitted and it really is the climax of the movie!!! On the other hand the song Seymore sings to Audrey when it is ailing and which SOOOO applies to CP growers is missing. I'm thinking of learning it on the guitar, if I ever get to play again.
See them both!

I actually ordered this DVD and it arrived in 2 days! We played it and then my 8-year-old dropped and stepped on the disk. I sent an email to Legend Films and within an hour they said they would send me a replacement free and not charge for shipping. Talk about great customer service -- wow!

You have an 8 year old??? Eh,uh,WOW! Heh, heh.....good to hear since you are the only man on earth older than I! An 8 year old, sheesh! No wonder you're nuts!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 10 2006,5:58)]you are the only man on earth older than I! An 8 year old, sheesh!
OLD!!! Who are you calling old? You are only as old as you feel. And, kids make you feel ... ummmmm??? Well, they do.
Here is a photo of the kiddo that I took last night. That's me on the bottom.

mariah4236.JPG

Hey I couldn't resist, not too many out there older than me (dig dig). If you are as old as you feel I am mummy dust bro.
Good pgoto of you, but it looks like you need a shave! Looks like a very happy kid, maybe you aren't so nuts after all.......

Awwwwww...what a cutie!
biggrin.gif
The donkey too. I'd love to have a donkey. Well, I'd prefer a horse but a donkey would do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 10 2006,8:58)]You have an 8 year old??? Eh,uh,WOW!  Heh, heh.....good to hear since you are the only man on earth older than I!  An 8 year old, sheesh!  No wonder you're nuts!
Two years ago the age ranges of 3 of my kids were nineteen, eighteen, and fifteen. Do you see a pattern in this?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back