What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interview with Shirley Phelps

Click Here

I was just shocked when I watched this, I had to post it.

My jaw actually dropped. D:

Wow, just wow
confused.gif

Being a Catholic, I can't believe there are people like that woman who claim to be Christian and use religion to support such horrible, hateful and evil ideas. Then again the KKK is a "Christian" group and the terrorists responsible for the 9/11 attacks are "Muslim". I guess there will always be nuts like that who bring a bad name to their particular religions and aren't representative of the majority.

By the way, my jaw is still sitting on the floor. Bleh.

Woah. Nuts. I think there is a measure of schizophrenia here.

Nothing more dangerous than a fool with a cause.

i watched this with the hubby a while ago. it literally made my stomach turn- but unfortunately people like my husband get shot at and stuff so even morons can express their veiws, no matter how bizzare or illogical.

religious people in general are nuts, that's just my opinion. matter of fact, there has never been anything that people have been more passionate about in all the history of humandkind that they're willing to kill/be killed than some sort of religion. that's my super-consise $.02 on religion. i have nothing against religious people, it's just not for me.

Well, if only to play devil's advocate, I think this is kind of funny. Not the funeral part - which is pretty cruel - but the fact that FOX News has not only found plenty of crackpots to justify the war, they've also managed to dig up this poor woman to demonize anti-war protesters. There's an incredible amount of subtext in this clip; clearly they're trying really hard to make this woman out to be the most unreasonable, awful person imaginable. I love the part where one of the host makes some jab about, "I'm a Christian so..." Hello? Bias much? I should've expected no less from FOX News.
I like how they quickly gloss over the part where laws were railroaded into place to try to stop this. Do you think it was because it was a funeral protest? No, I don't think they were protesting putting some guy in the ground. My guess is that this was a good opportunity to try and squash an embarassing anti-war press event without obviously violating the first amendment.
I certainly don't agree with this woman's stance in general, but so far as the war goes, I think she might be on to something... Maybe if we thought more about what this war is costing us (our families, civility, resources, and respect among the other nations of the world) and less about how glorious it is to dominate other countries we'd be in better shape. The way I see it, the military coerces young men and women into indentured servitude with promises of adventure, glory and easy money (all the while glossing over the fact that they'll be risking their lives for the term of their contract) and then sends them off to die with inadequate equipment, training and leadership. Not only that, but to a war that was started on false pretenses by a President who may not have even taken his term legally. Why shouldn't a devout Christian or anyone of modest moral standing protest this practice? There are so many things wrong with this picture, it boggles my mind. The only way they could get more immoral is if there were a part of the military that killed puppies to launder drug money.
And I think it's worth noting that the funeral that was protested had over 1000 guests, which seems suspect to me. 1000 mourners for a single person? You can be sure that this was not just an affair of their close friends and family. I think that, even if it was mean-spirited, this was probably the most justifiable scenario for this type of protest. Lots of people, most of them probably military types, all in a more receptive state than usual after the loss of an acquaintance. These are people that need to hear that there are Americans who want the war to end. Not only that, but a lot of the ceremony behind military funerals seem to glorify war and blind obedience and justify the (often empty) sacrifices that soldiers are forced to make. As ugly as their messages were, I think the protesters were a good counterpoint to the propoganda that the military perpetuates through it's pomp and ceremony. It's great to say, 'Support our troops,' but when we do so we need to think about soldiers as individual human beings and not as faceless automatons put on this Earth solely for the service of our military.
Of all the wars I can think of, none were so hollow as this one, and I think it's a shame that the dead soldiers are made into martyrs for Bush's megalomanical pro-war agenda. If some crazy, racist, homophobic preacher lady wants to make a stink about it, I think she should be commended - she's finally using her time and resources for something that's socially constructive, even if she's doing it in a spiteful way. But more than that, I think that the sane portion of America should be extremely concerned. If even the crackpots are freaking out about the war, isn't it time that we changed things?
As a final note, I'd like to say that my father, cousin and several of my close friends are in the military and have been run ragged by this awful war, both deployed and at home. I've lost a couple of them, too. I couldn't possibly be any less pro-war, and it's precisely because I have loved ones out there who tell me what's actually happening out in the field. They were totally suckered; when I think about it it makes me feel low just to call myself an American and know that my country supports such reprehensible practices. Fifty years ago the military may have been protecting the country, but no one is coming after America nowadays. "The terrorists" aren't going to infiltrate Congress and burn the Constitution. The only freedom that we'll preserve with this war is our freedom to cheap, subsidised oil, and nothing makes me angrier.
Anyways, so ends my obligitory war rant.
~Joe

Is this Shirley Phelps Rev. Fred Phelps' daughter? Ah, good old Nazi-bashing days are all I remember in associaton with that crazy family.
Did you know the old Rev was fond of Al Gore - that is, until they clashed on the grounds of homosexuality. Actually, I'm surprised some people weren't even aware that these stains of humanity (Phelps family) are very active in the US community.

Joe/seedjar--> Thank you for a very interesting and well expressed commentary. Makes one think and reconsider these issues--

I had originally typed out a long post about my thoughts on the war and stuff, but I don't want to turn this topic into a huge war debate. They're pointless, endless, and people get hurt.

So I'll just post this:

The lady in the video is a psycho and I really doubt her sanity. She really creeps me out, she was smiling THE WHOLE TIME. She reminds me of a cult leader.

Thats definetaly Not A Christain Veiw. Their are many "Christains "who twist things around and say that they are Right, Take Pentecostal churches for example. Tounges and Other gifts like that have come and gone end of story, they just use verses and say that that is what is intended. I wont get into it but Tounges (one of the big arguments against these churches)has come and gone.

Any ways, I dont know where shes getting these little ideas from but it would be nice to get some Verses from where shes getting this stuff from other wise its quite amusing what some Hipo-christains can come up with.

Imperialism is still in gear in the US Mind. Thats why we are in Iraq fighting for their government improvment so we can get a little taste of what they have in oil. Weather you see it or not, Ill be glad when Bushes Term is over.

Christianity is for every one, not just the "Nuts". Its just something that some one is passionet about. Take Us CP growers, we are for the most part very passionet about our plants to where it seems a bit crazy doesnt it?

I was sick to my stomach and couldnt understand any thing they were saying hafl the time...
smile_t_32.gif
. That is a big family by the way.. Did any one see her Phone Numbers and Addresses posted all over the web?

Cheers

I heard her before. Howard Stern has her on his show all the time and makes fun of her.

I support her right to express how she feels, no matter how crazy it is. But I can't accept the fact that she is doing this at a funeral. Leave the families alone. That is not the time to express your views.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ May 05 2006,6:51)]I heard her before. Howard Stern has her on his show all the time and makes fun of her.

I support her right to express how she feels, no matter how crazy it is. But I can't accept the fact that she is doing this at a funeral. Leave the families alone. That is not the time to express your views.
well said, ozzy. (short and to the point, too.) i agree.

I heard of these incidents before.

The point isn't why a person died, the point is that someone DIED, don't eff with their family. This lady obviously doesn't know what hell is, otherwise she'd know she's playing the role of the devil.

Sounds like a personality that'd be on the Phil Hendrie show! lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]clearly they're trying really hard to make this woman out to be the most unreasonable, awful person imaginable.

They don't need to, she does that herself just fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My guess is that this was a good opportunity to try and squash an embarassing anti-war press event without obviously violating the first amendment

Illogical; if it was about quashing anti-war protests, why would they make the law specific to only funerals and memorials?

The law is about enforcing some darn courtesy since these wastes of skin don't have any.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] but so far as the war goes, I think she might be on to something... Maybe if we thought more about what this war is costing us (our families, civility, resources, and respect among the other nations of the world) and less about how glorious it is to dominate other countries we'd be in better shape.

Did you even listen to her? She's not talking about the cost of war, she's claiming that every bad things that's happened is divine judgement because we don't make homosexuality a felony.

Look into the Westboro Baptist Church. There's no subtle commentary, no fine points, none of that. They're raving extremists, pure and simple. Seriously, can you expect well-reasoned points from a church who's URL is "www.godhatesfags.com"?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And I think it's worth noting that the funeral that was protested had over 1000 guests, which seems suspect to me. 1000 mourners for a single person? You can be sure that this was not just an affair of their close friends and family. I think that, even if it was mean-spirited, this was probably the most justifiable scenario for this type of protest. Lots of people, most of them probably military types, all in a more receptive state than usual after the loss of an acquaintance. These are people that need to hear that there are Americans who want the war to end. Not only that, but a lot of the ceremony behind military funerals seem to glorify war and blind obedience and justify the (often empty) sacrifices that soldiers are forced to make. As ugly as their messages were, I think the protesters were a good counterpoint to the propoganda that the military perpetuates through it's pomp and ceremony. It's great to say, 'Support our troops,' but when we do so we need to think about soldiers as individual human beings and not as faceless automatons put on this Earth solely for the service of our military.

Whether some of those people are there for the right reason or not, what antiquated military ceremonies are going on, and how receptive some people might be is all irrelevant. None of those, *none* can make it acceptable to yell and hold signs informing the grieving family who lost someone a tragic way that their son/daughter/whatever *deserved* this and is going to hell?

There are plenty of appropriate venues for anti-war protests; the funerals of soldiers is not one of them. If you can't make you point in a dignified manner, you don't have a point worth making; if you need to milk emotion rather than logic, your cause is worthless. This goes for all sides.

--------------------------------------

Personally, I'm surprised in the least. I've known about this specific church for a long, long time due to their stance as virulent homophobes. They've been pulling this exact same poop at the funerals of gay individuals for *decades*, and the government has done squat.

In a way, I'm glad they're doing this; now the rest of the world gets to see what it's like. I think every one of them is a waste of otherwise useful protien, and frankly would kill them all with less thought or feeling than I give to what to have to lunch, but I'm glad that other groups are getting to know what it feels like to be hated. Maybe then the government will take a little pity on those it's made into second-class citizens to appease the christian taliban.

Mokele

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mokele @ May 05 2006,5:22)]Did you even listen to her?  She's not talking about the cost of war, she's claiming that every bad things that's happened is divine judgement because we don't make homosexuality a felony.
Well, I guess I should clarify. By and large I do agree with everyone who's posted thus far.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Look into the Westboro Baptist Church.  There's no subtle commentary, no fine points, none of that.  They're raving extremists, pure and simple.  Seriously, can you expect well-reasoned points from a church who's URL is "www.godhatesfags.com"?
I wasn't aware this was THAT church, although I knew the name Phelps rang a bell. In that case I should recind my comment on how they brought up the law, as Westboro definitely has a history of this and there was probably long-standing reason for such a policy.
I would agree with you Mokele, that she doesn't need FOX newscasters harping on her to make her look crazy, but I think it's interesting to see FOX News - which otherwise seems to be in the pocket of religious conservative interests - making a neo-Christian extremist into a figurehead for the anti-war agenda. The whole clip gave me the heebie jeebies because she's so far out there that it almost made me receptive to what Hannity and Colmes had to say.
I'm not a Christian and I have severe doubts about the scripture and prophecy she was going on about, but despite her delusions I think she sees one thing clearly - when it comes to war, America continues to feed the fire. I certainly don't think that the sentiments of the Westboro church would do any better at keeping the peace, but it's really, REALLY scary that it takes a total wack job to get that message on television. And what's worse is that media events like this manage to exploit a few nuts on the fringe to diminish a far more important point. I wouldn't say that any of these should have died, but at the same time it's to be expected; people die in wars. If you don't want somebody to die, it's prudent not to send them into mortal combat. It's sad but true.
I think it's awful that these people impose their own religious doctrine on mourning families and tarnish the memory of these soldiers by saying that they're going to hell. However, I think that there would be far less people dead or mourning if these families had taken it to heart that people on our side would be dying. Westboro's protest is malicious and comes far too late, but if we can't see what truth there is in their message simply because we don't agree with their doctrine, how much better than them are we?
Mokele, I read the rest of your post and I want to reply to it, but I don't think it's necessary. If this were a one-time thing I might think different of it, but Westboro's tactics are truly low and hypocritical and I wholeheartedly agree with you in that matter.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Maybe then the government will take a little pity on those it's made into second-class citizens to appease the christian taliban.
I can see your point here but I wonder what we can really do about this kind of thing... I think that hate mongering is a terrible thing on a personal level, but at the same time I fear that efforts to undermine these kinds of acts will ultimately wear away at our personal freedoms as well. I wouldn't make a law against Westboro's protests, but I would gladly go to jail for beating the tar out of some of them. :)
~Joe

Those people protesting at that funeral are not right in the head. I think that should be considerd less as a protest and more as harrasment. These... people... have the right to beleive in anything they want, and to speak it but that just crosses the line!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ May 05 2006,6:13)]I think that should be considerd less as a protest and more as harrasment.
It certainly would seem they are crossing that line. Excellent point.
~Joe

The Gay community has had to contend with Fred Phelps's "church" (mostly composed of his large family) for years. They gained momentary national notoriety because of the shock value of picketing at the memorial service of Matthew Shepard, the young gay man who was murdered in Wyoming some few years ago.

However, the media didn't pay much attention these last few years when they picketed at the funerals of gay men and others who have died of AIDS. Now that they are picketing the funerals of fallen servicemen, however, they seem to have hit a nerve with the American public and the U.S. media. I'm sure they couldn't be happier--

nepenthes_ak said:
I was sick to my stomach and couldnt understand any thing they were saying hafl the time...   . That is a big family by the way.. Did any one see her Phone Numbers and Addresses posted all over the web?

I have both, I didn't find it appropriate to post here though.
smile.gif

It seems like that group of people are always trying to group everyone together, like all gay people just exist to spread AIDS. That is WAY off.

(Yeah, I know my quote tags didn't work. >_<)

Back