What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the topic of consoles...

For the gamers out there those who haven't checked out the current news about E3. The PS3 is set to release with two price tags 499 and 599. Of course the only option to go if you're a gamer is the 599 version (HD, wireless capabilities). Personally i think Sony shot itself in the foot. The hardcore will definately buy if but for the Moms and Dads out there they'll probably be getting their son/daughter a lower priced 360 or Wii since third party games span all across the 3 consoles. With price tags ranging from the 200 dollar rumored Wii to three times that amount for the PS3... what will you buy? And do you think three times the price is actually worth it when most developers agree it's impossible to tell them appart?

hmmm i think ill stick with my computer for what gaming i do. even my lil brother is getting away from consoles and is building a gaming computer this summer rather than get a 360 for a fraction of the cost

I don't see anybody other than hardcore gamers shelling out more than half a grand to buy this. That's just insane. Leave the stupid blu-ray drive out so the price can come down to a reasonable level, sheesh! If Sony insist on pushing blu-ray, subsidize the entire cost.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (larry @ May 09 2006,8:58)]I don't see anybody other than hardcore gamers shelling out more than half a grand to buy this.  That's just insane.  Leave the stupid blu-ray drive out so the price can come down to a reasonable level, sheesh!  If Sony insist on pushing blu-ray, subsidize the entire cost.
The scary thing is, most consoles are already subsidized! The game companies make money on software, and typically take a hit on the hardware.
I think that the Wii will be the first console I've purchased within six months of it's release date (I actually plan to get it ASAP) but I'll wait until the price falls AT LEAST below $300 to get a PS3. As for the 360, I've yet to see a single XBox-exclusive game I really wanted to pay for, so I haven't even looked at the new one. But I am ready to shell out an absurd amount of money for a Wii and the new Zelda.
~Joe

I'll get one when Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy 13 are released. Hopefully by then the price will drop a little.

But I agree, $500 bux is stupid. Who the hell needs blue ray? I can already see blue ray dropping dead just like MiniDisk and UMD movies.

I think the games look good, but I (a big gamer) will NOT spend $500 bux on a console filled with crap I'm never going to use.

I'd rather treat my PC to an nVidia GeForce 7800GTX card with that money.

I think the Nintendo Wii has already sealed its fate by being named after what sounds like a bodily fluid.

On a par with the Nissan Cedric and Nissan Silvia.

I bet even with the stupid name, the Wii will outsell both the 360 and ps3. I know I'm getting one for sure. They could rename it the Nintendo Feces and it would still do better than the horribly overpriced ps3 and be more inovative than the 360.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I bet even with the stupid name, the Wii will outsell both the 360 and ps3.

Seriously, I think the name this is being way overblown; just the same way a lot of people made fun of the "360" bit of the newest Xbox. I'm actually enjoying all the clever and lame jokes people are making about it (gotta love word plays.)

I see it being beaten into third place again. Nintendo just aim at a different market than the others, which is fine, but the PS3 will come top once again. It's overpriced sure, but they always are. Wait 6 months and it'll start to come down.

I'm a nintendo fan, so the Wii is the obvious choice for me. I can't wait to get my hands on that controller. Although I heavily support Blu-Ray, there aren't really any movies out on it yet, and I don't have an HD-TV anyway. Maybe when those two conditions are met, I'll consider the PS3.

Im done my videogaming days, exept for that delightfull simulation called Sim City 4. With new custom contant always comong on the variety is indefinate!
biggrin.gif

When I read that someone had invented a stable blue-laser optical drive years ago I thought for sure that it wouldn't be until blue-laser DVDs came out that we'd be able to buy things like TV show seasons. That's the sort of thing the technology is perfect for. But people managed to sell them anyway. I wonder if the average person knew about blue-laser if they would have waited. I'd personally rather have 1 disc than 4.

But even though the technology is here we probably still have a while to wait for a standard to win out.

And I guess we're still stuck with a big pile of discs if we want HD TV shows.
smile.gif

I used to like Sim City 4 too. I got bit tired of it eventually bacuse it's hard to make cities that aren't just blocks. It's obviously based on American cities, but you can't create the windy spaghetti roads we have in British cities!

Sim City 4 fan here also. I stopped playing when The Sims2 came out, I sucked at it though. I would build these big cities but I could never advance them past a small town status so I never got any skyscrapers
smile_h_32.gif

I honestly don't see the PS3's price dropping that quick. Blue-Ray players alone cost like $1,000 right now so I think a price drop is a long way off.

Back