What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After butchering my starter kit from petflytrap.com, and watching the tiny weak specimens from flytraps.com die on me, I've decided that this month would be a great time to make another attempt! I've learned a lot by my past blunders, and I think these new plants will live long and prosper!

Here are photos of my order. It was shipped from the Northwest *wink* and some Sarracenia *wink* were included in the order.

From left to right, back row: S. 'Judith Hindle', VFT 'Typical', VFT 'Dente', D. graminifolia, D. spatulata 'Frasier Island', D. spatulata
Left to right, front row: S. 'Ladies in Waiting', VFT 'Red Dragon', S. flava, VFT 'Typical', D. aliciae, D. adelae
That's the majority of my order. The pots without tags were plants I already had.

Those are my Nepenthes I ordered.
Left to right: ramispina, maxima, bicalcarata (teeth!), truncata (with it's unique leaves), and sanguinae

My other plants on the windowsill. A young N. rafflesiana, and a P. cyclosecta, which I'm obsessed with right now.

D. aliciae closeup. My current favorite Drosera.

Both varieties of D. spatulata.

Closeup of the D. spatulata standard form.

Showing my tiny N. bicalcarata's characteristic fangs. >;-D

Do you think I'm making a huge mistake trying to keep a bicalcarata on my kitchen windowsill? I've heard that it pretty much requires high humidity, but I don't feel like messing around with fishtanks and fungus again. It's been on the sill for three days now, and the leaves show no signs of wilting.

Goodluck!

whats weird is D. aliciae is the only drostera i can keep alive. I killed the so-called indestructable capensis, but in the sam water tray D. aliciae thrives! Heh i predict it will do well for you

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ May 10 2006,12:59)]I killed the so-called indestructable capensis, but in the sam water tray D. aliciae  thrives!
Singaporean?  
smilie4.gif

Aliciae was harder to buy online than I thought, but the search was WELL worth it. I love the color and shape of it.

I admire your persistence because I was approaching 40 before I made my third attempt with CPs.

Do you have any outdoor growing space? A few square feet in the sun will make the Sarrs and VFTs happy and probably some of the Droseras too. I don't grow Droseras so don't which like what. The highland Neps don't need quite as much light, but they'll be happy if you can eventually move them out too. Good luck.

That's a big order!

I have to say, with regards to the bical, you probubly won't kill it on the widow, but I doubt it will pitcher.

My Sarrs, VFT's, and Droseras are all out on my east-facing deck, but all of the nepenthes are inside on the east-facing windowsill.  I did try to move my N. ventricosa outside, but it stopped growing due to the change, and I decided to move it back inside.  When it was out in the afternoon sun, it seemed to dry out quicker anyway.

EDIT: Also, I have somewhat of a conundrum involving Drosera. Is there a way to give them the advantage of full outside sunlight, without having the risk of rain washing away all of the dew?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]EDIT: Also, I have somewhat of a conundrum involving Drosera. Is there a way to give them the advantage of full outside sunlight, without having the risk of rain washing away all of the dew?
i have some unknown dews otside full time even in the rain. the rain washes the dew off but it comes back within a day or so. you get red coloring with outside sun so i recomend it.

i just got my order of U. Sandersonii(its rely small!) and an S. Flava(my favorite now) in the mail and i got a Nepenthes from a local florist! im on a role today!!

It's scheduled to rain pretty much all of this week, so I put out the water collecting jugs and trays, and moved all of my drosera up into my room under my lights until the weather gets nicer.

Back