What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bears Eat Monkey in Front of Zoo Visitors

Bears Eat Monkey in Front of Zoo Visitors
May 15 5:12 PM US/Eastern

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands

Bears killed and ate a monkey in a Dutch zoo in front of horrified visitors, witnesses and the zoo said Monday. In the incident Sunday at the Beekse Bergen Safari Park, several Sloth bears chased the Barbary macaque into an electric fence, where it was stunned.

It recovered and fled onto a wooden structure, where one bear pursued and mauled it to death.

The park confirmed the killing in a statement, saying: "In an area where Sloth bears, great apes and Barbary macaques have coexisted peacefully for a long time, the harmony was temporarily disturbed during opening hours on Sunday."

"Of course the habitats here in the safari park are arranged in such a way that one animal almost never kills another, but they are and remain wild animals," it said.

Witness Marco Berelds posted a detailed report on the incident, including photos, on a Dutch Web site. He said one Sloth bear tried unsuccessfully to shake the monkey loose after it took refuge on the structure, built of crossing horizontal and vertical poles.

Ignoring attempts by keepers to distract it, the bear climbed onto a horizontal pole, and, standing stretched on two legs, "used its sharp canines to pull the macaque, which was shrieking and resisting, from its perch."

The bear then brought the animal to a concrete den, where three bears ate it.

The zoo said it "usually wasn't possible" for keepers to intervene when an animal killed another.

The park plans now to move the Barbary macaques _ which are large monkeys but often inaccurately called "Barbary Apes" _ to another part of the park, it said.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The bear then brought the animal to a concrete den, where three bears ate it.

gotta love a bear that shares its monkey
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Bears killed and ate a monkey in a Dutch zoo in front of horrified visitors

god forbid animals act like animals in a zoo, ppl have seen to many freaking Disney movies

...And I have every darn right to keep both Sloth bears and barbary macaques captive in my 12 x 22 one room apartment!
smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif

That's a crazy story. I bet that was a sight to behold
confused.gif

They should have thrown the monkey a pocket knife or something... even up the odds.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ May 17 2006,10:00)]They should have thrown the monkey a pocket knife or something... even up the odds.
That or a grenade launcher. Either would do just fine.

Hmph, I'd actually go to a zoo if that kinda stuff happened when I was there.

I was at that zoo, many years ago, it was neat to see the animals mixed together, to bad they will be seperated now.

That very interesting, the only thing we get at our locals zoo's is monkey's throwing poop at the visitors and giraffes drinking their own or mate's urine.

I have never been to what you would call a tip- quality zoo.

Hehe that must been a bummer becaus ethat living arrangement was innovative and may have had use in future zoos

Years ago I went to this place down in Fla. called " Lion Country Safari". It was this huge open place where lions, rhinos, giraffes, etc... all roamed wild. No fences. You could drive through the place in your car just like if you were on safari in Africa. I never seen a lion eat a monkey or anything but we did have a rhino charge us and we had to put the pedal to the metal to get away real fast, and we had a giraffe stick it's long tongue in the car window.
If I remember correctly there also was a place like that up in Los Angeles. Do either of those places even exist anymore?

Sounds too uncontrolled for someone not to have freaked out, sued, and got them shut down by now.

Wonder if it tasted like chicken?

Oh, Steve! That's just a rumor!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ May 17 2006,11:19)]Years ago I went to this place down in Fla. called " Lion Country Safari". It was this huge open place where lions, rhinos, giraffes, etc... all roamed wild. No fences. You could drive through the place in your car just like if you were on safari in Africa.
I actually went to this as well. Nothing charged us, but this guy fed a banana to a giraffe through his window, and a VERY disgruntled ostrich pecked at our passenger window. The monkey section was closed, because I think they'd pull apart the canvas on the top of cars, due to some banana ingredient that they use to glue it on.

Not too sure about near LA but San Diego Wild Animal Park sounds like what you might be talkingabout. I've been their and while their is some fencing it is kept very minimal for a few "specimens" and they indeed do have a large savannah area. Only trouble is that since the animals are free to roam sometimes you are unable to see them.

Back