What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pine Barren 06 Trip Pictures

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
My camp site
camp.jpg

Fence Lizard
flizard.jpg

Some kind of Iris
flower.jpg

Some Kind of Orchid
orchid.jpg

Some shots of the landscape
area1.jpg

area2.jpg

area3.jpg

area4.jpg

I did not do as much canoeing as I planned. It was very windy. Friday there was white caps on the lake it was blowing so hard. It was still very windy on Saturday morning, but I still went out.

Getting a little narrow
can1.jpg

DUCK!!
can2.jpg

can3.jpg

can4.jpg

Utricularia inflata
U.jpg

U1.jpg

Sarracenia Purpurea
purp1.jpg

purp2.jpg

purp3.jpg

purp4.jpg

Drosera rotundiflora
rot1.jpg

rot2.jpg

rot3.jpg

Drosera intermedia – The most common sundew of the sites I searched
inter1.jpg

inter2.jpg

inter3.jpg

inter4.jpg

Drosera filiformis – Still the most elusive sundew in the Pine Barrens. I have only found this plant growing in one small area and counted less then 10 plants.
Dfil1.jpg

Dfil.jpg

I was glad to meet a new person from the forums on Sunday. I think Ron Lane, and I know I did, had a great time getting our feet wet and getting lost down the sand roads in the Pine Barrens.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Very nice Steve,thanks for sharing the pictures!I'm glad you had a good time.

Jerry

I'm really sorry I missed the trip this year. It looks like you had a great time. Not as much fun as we did last year though. I'll try to take the time next year to make the trip.

Wow, looks amazing. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
smile.gif

great pictures!

In the past when I had the chance to visit the Pine Barrens, I had found D. filiformis usually along sandy seepages, away from big bodies of water. It takes some concentration to find them, but once found, they're everywhere.

And I'm really surprised. Is that really May?? I remember visiting during spring time and not finding anything growing. It's been a while...

Very, very cool!

It looked like a lot of fun! Great photos & finds!

i'm assuming those are the New Jersey Pine Barrens? too much water for Long Island ;) i think the orchid is a pink lady slipper, Cypripedium acaule... those are allegedly found in these Pine Barrens as well but I have yet to come across one. what a beauty!!!

Wow!!! Looks like my kind of place. Reminds me of canoeing on the Rifle River up in Michigan, although I didn't see any CP's up there. Great pics!
smile_n_32.gif

I was only able to make it down to do some tromping around with Steve for one day - but it was a great day.

Some thoughts:
- meeting another CP person and forum member was great - Thanks for inviting me on the trip Steve - sorry I couldn't make it for more than 1 day.
- obviously seeing the CP in their natural habitat is great - very educational - how can you beat seeing the plants where they choose to grow? (vs where we happen to plant them). Some of my observations agree with prior habitat visits and some are distinctly different...
- seeing the consistent separation of D. rotundifolia & D. intermedia into their respective micro-habitats was intriguing. Even though the separation were typically only a few feet to a few inches - the D. rotundifolia always preferred the drier ground and the D. intermedia the wetter/muckier growing area. IIRC - this was even consistent on a stump sticking out of the water. The D. rotundifolia grew above the D. intermedia. Also, as close as the plants grow, we noticed no hybrids.
- While the D. intermedia loving the wetter/muckier growing areas was consistent w/ what I've observed previously - huge bogs in NE PA have D. rotundifolia growing in the sphagnum - in very wet areas...
- Similarly - I've seen S. purpurea seemingly prefer the wet areas in deep shagnum in other northern bogs. Here, the S. purpurea plants 'seemed' to prefer higher ground in the cover of low bushes. Although, we found a number of plants that were growing in the sphagnum, there were more in the bushes and those tended to be larger (go figure!)
- Previously I've found D. filiformis growing in low, flat, sandy areas. We didn't find any areas like that so I wasn't hugely surprised that we didn't find lots of them.
- Seeing actual plants of U. inflata was great. While the plants we saw were in pretty 'rugged' condition - several were flowering. The shape of the plant is truly unique and intriguing...
- We also saw some of the 'usual' string-type aquatic bladderwarts (sorry - no clue to species). These plants were very successful as they were quite common and close inspection of the traps showed many to have prey inside.
- Steve took some TDS and pH readings of water in the area. The pH readings were amazingly low (below 5?) and I was surprised that fish and plants could live in the water...
- Ticks - no real surprise that we had some crawling on us. Pleasantly not as many as I normally get in areas closer to my house in central NJ. Two of the ticks that we inspected a bit closer than others were both Lone Star ticks vs Deer ticks or Dog ticks (my apologies if these aren't the official names). Having looked at hundreds (maybe thousands) of ticks - these were only the 2nd & 3rd Lone Star ticks I've seen...
- Seeing the Pink Lady slipper orchid was great. It was in perfect condition and incredibly beautiful - big credit to Steve's sharp eyes for finding it. We were also able to look at several other much smaller blooming orchids at different locations.
- the various Fence Lizards were also very interesting to observe.
- The campground where we met (Atsion) had nice, large, flat campsites with a decent separation and significant brush providing some shielding from neighboring sites (so you didn't feel that your neighbors were constantly looking over your shoulder)
- I intend to go back and spend more time there - both in this campground and exploring the local area - truly a memorable experience
455.gif
& highly recommended...

Thanks everyone for the comments on the pics.

Ron,
Thanks for posting a nice detailed account of the time we spent observing the plants, and glad that you did make it for the day.
I know that you mentioned about going later in the season to see the different sundews blooming. D. intermedia blooms June to August and D. rotundifolia June to September. If you decide to back some time between the flowering times, maybe in July?, let me know and we can meet up again and get our feet wet while sinking in the sphagnum moss.
smile_n_32.gif

I did forget to mention I took some readings the pH and TDS of 2 locations. Both locations had a TDS reading of 26 PPM. Like Ron stated, my pH readings where 4.43 and 4.60, which I thought was extremely low.

Back