What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

so whats your guys and gals opinion?

for those of you who have lived in the big city yah may not understand small town mentalities so ill try and explain so yah have some background.

being a town of about 4000 ppl their is alot of community pride and cooperation. we have the oldest rodeo in the state and one that is more often than not voted the best rodeo in the state by the participents. its a 3 day event put on by the chamber of commerce and an army of voulenteers. last year they made a whopping $60 on the 3 days but as long as it breaks even we really dont care. i print the posters and the 12,000 plus tickets for the 3 day event. because of these posters and tickets i deal with 2 ppl person #1 get the general admission and the posters, person #2 gets all the reserved. last year for all the tickets alone we charged them $1500ish(remember this figure) which is about as cheap as we can do it after paying my salery, payroll taxes, paper and ink for the effort. we have almost no profit margine on these. but the rodeo is a real boost for the community and i get into the rodeo free on a press pass anyway.

the last 3 years ive done the tickets and posters Person #1 comes in with all the stuff starting the first week in May, takes her a couple weeks to get everything done and ready for us to print but this way we can start setting stuff and getting it ready and its not dumped in our lap at the last minute, we sit and look at a calendar, she tells me the exact day she wants them(May 22 this year) and inform her by that which day she needs to have 100% of everything to me(May 18 this year) to get these done and to her on the day she wants them. the posters take a full day of printing themselves, the general admission tickets take 2 days of printing and numbering. its a great working relationship, there have not been any misunderstandings. ive never been late.

now for Person #2, heres where the problem arises, this person generally CALLS on about the last week of april to dictate changes to the reserved tickets(generally just price and dates change) and hangs up, no mention of what day she needs them no nothing. so we go on the assumption of the last few years is whats happening this year. she will pick up the tickets on the Tuesday after memorial day cause the generally go on sale about June 11. this person WILL NOT take the tickets if she is not ready for them, we do not have the safe space to store 6,500ish printed, numbered and sorted tickets, we have been broke into in the past and had tickets stolen and ive had to redo days. it takes 4-5 8 hour days for me to print and number all these tickets for row and seat number, just doing these alone.

well 2 weeks ago i get a call saying they now want these tickets on the 22nd, course in my mind i say keep dreaming, im no even ready to start these yet. they are not the only person i print for, some of the other ppl ahead of them spend tons of money with us year round. well yah know what i did not get the tickets done by the 22nd, heck i havent even started numbering them yet as i was planning on starting that today, working part of my Memorial day weekend finishing them up for delivery on the tuesday after like i have done for the last 3 years. other stuff was ahead of them and i have other responsibilities at the paper other than just printing, it just couldnt happen. i explain all this to person #1 (who is actually the main person at the chamber of com.) is quite understanding and says get to them when yah can but they need to be done by the tuesday like always.

yesterday i get a phone call from an irrate Person #2 screaming that her tickets arent done and she always has them by such and such a rodeo which is on the third weekend of May EVERY YEAR, i try to calmly explain the situation to her and tell her she has never recieved these tickets for that rodeo since ive been working here. funny how i always use part of my memorial day vacation to finish numbering these tickets every year and the year they were stolen was...........drum roll please............memorial day weekend. faulty memory with old age? anyways she spouts of about needing them when she orders them ect ect ect i do my best to stay civil but im quickly loosing patients and we hang up on each other before a screaming match insues over who is right(i am, my boss even agrees)

anyways im torqued off over the whole mess yesterday and inform the boss that next year if im still doing exactly what im doing this year we cant do the tickets, i dont have the time. the boss just smiles and nods. apparently when we got the phone call that they needed them on the 22nd, she made some phone calls trying to farm out the tickets to a firm that just does this sort of thing, figuring even if we make no money on it its better to just have them done and out of the way. yah want to know the lowest quote she got? remember we are charging them about $1500, well the cheapest we could get them done for our wholesale cost was $5000 so im doing them this year.

the boss says i should write a letter of complaint over person #2's attitude to the chamber and inform them of all the circumstances that go into these tickets and what person #2 is not willing to do and such. whats your take on the situation?

Ahhh...the printing business.  
smile.gif
 Obviously person #2 was wrong.  But there are lots of "Person #2's" in this field.  You should DEFINITELY write to someone who is over that person and complain.  You are trying to do a good, generous thing and you got trashed for it.  Someone needs to point out to that lady that she was wrong and she should apologize.

I deal with mini-versions of that kind of thing all the time in my job.  I had an agent place an order for me to revise a little logo thingie I had done for her a couple of years ago that runs in her classified ads in the paper.  She said all she wanted was her photo replaced with her newer one.  I verbally asked her "That's all you need done to it--just replace the photo?"  She says yes. She puts on the order form she wants it by Friday.  Well, I know the newspaper doesn't take images on Friday any more, so I bumped her job up and did it Thursday afternoon [in spite of the fact that I was doing double work because a coworker was off].  I did her another favor by emailing her a proof instead of having her come in to approve it.  She emails me back and informs me I was supposed to change her phone number and add two web addresses to the logo.  OK.  I was supposed to know that HOW??  ESP?  I check her order form...sure 'nuff it says "Add new photo" ONLY.  Something like that wouldn't have pissed me off as much if her attitude hadn't been as if *I* had made the mistake.  If she had apologized for her oversight and thanked me for doing it early for her, I wouldn't have been so cranky over it.  I wrote her back, told her in order to do what she wanted I would have to completely re-do the logo and that I couldn't do that until this week.

I think you are very generous to spend your Memorial Day on those tickets.  But unless you get a GOOD apology from that lady or her higher-ups, I think next year you should go out fishing and picnicing like everybody else.  
smile.gif

problem is her higher ups WILL apologize profusely for her and will be 100% sincere but she wont. im really getting tempted at jacking up the price 30% from last year for this year and say the hell with them next year.

Remember, you are the good guy, and they need you. That means you hold all the cards.

Simply tell here when the tickets will be done, and let her talk to the hand. You're in charge here, not her.

Capslock

In western movies, the gunfire always started by now.  Are you sure you really live in Montana?

Anyway, time will pass; you'll get over it; offer the same price next year; and person #2 will start screaming that she always gets the tickets by Easter.  But you'll put up with it because you see the event as a good thing for the community and are willing to do what you can.  Maybe this is why the people in movies seem so much happier.

Back