What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i'm killing more plants (not the cp though)

• Thread starter bugfreak
  • Start date
my plants hate me!!! they are all dying on me! they must have conspired and commited suicide... yes. that's the only rational explanation.

no, but seriously. i will never plant basil or parsley again. the vfts and rosemary are doing well. oregano is doing fair. and get this.... i'm killing the peppermint- they one plant that even "special" people can't kill if they tried. what gives?

they receive hot hot afternoon/evening sun with the most intensity , i suspect this is the primary culprit but i don't know what to do about it. i'm not superwoman. i can't lift the building and turn it around. our patio window is blocked so we don't get any light through it. (got some ghetto-looking foil on it cause our a/c is inefficient. DANG! i hate this place!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]no, but seriously. i will never plant basil or parsley again. the vfts and rosemary are doing well. oregano is doing fair. and get this.... i'm killing the peppermint- they one plant that even "special" people can't kill if they tried. what gives?

I have the same problem. My mother once quipped that I have a blood-red thumb; I can only raise carnivores.

Mokele

you know what my mom is having a sucky time with basil too! it shouldnt have a bunch of water so they have all died from stem rot! her other herbs are looking aewsome except for her Dill which is getting sunburnt. oh well. from what i have heard peppermint is tons less hardy and forgiving than spearmint which spreads like bermuda grass!
good luck
alex

PFFFF mints easy! Well I guess it depends on climate maybe? I dont know how wide spread mint is, but I got Spear mint from NY.

Of course I tend to kill almost every thing ealse except for dandilions and w/e can be planted in the yard.

Cheers

I'd hate you too if you were trying to kill me.

*sigh* i'm not trying to kill them ozzy. they just hate me anyway so they'd rather commit suicide.

any advice? anyone in texas want my mint? where's that copcar fella. he lives right down the street from where we work.

cool.gif

Try giving it more water and a bit of shade.

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ May 28 2006,12:43)]
cool.gif

Try giving it more water and a bit of shade.

Cheers
thanks for the tip. i don't know how to give it shade though... we get morning shade and afternoon hot texas sun on our balcony. it sucks. perhaps i could build something to give it shade but i don't know what or how.

even up here in the frozen north, mints seem to do better when shaded a bit from the hot sun. the thickest patch i ever grew was under a Russian olive that never recieved direct sun. my mom moved it at one point to choke out the weeds on the east side of a shed that is about 10 feet from the west side of their house. recieves some sun but not alot. it grows like mad.

Back