What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They hatch...

Sorry only one pic but they hatched this morning!

mantids1.jpg

There were at least 100 of them this morning, don't know how many of the eggs opened but their hatching bin was put outside and some fern leaves arched in so they could escape into my densely planted patio/jungle.

If I can find them in the AM I'll get some good pics together.

Nice! I remember I hatched some mantids once when I was younger and it was the coolest thing seeing them come out.

Mantids are some of my favorite insects
smile.gif

It's amazing how people who don't like bugs (myself included) love mantids! I wonder what it is about them but they're just fascinating to watch. I have refrained from putting any CPs outside for now so none get accidentally caught by the flytraps or sundews.

It's been 90*F+ yesterday and today (98* today) so I misted the garden several times both days and all these little brown matchsticks came out and drank up the water on the leaves! Such a cool sight, It's also been very windy today, I hope at least a few didn't get blown off the patio into the rest of the yard! I ordered 5 more egg cases of a different species...
I couldn't help myself!
laugh.gif

REmber if they are Tropical they will go away and their eggs wont survive. Their are some PREATY neat tropical Mantids... Red yellow, dark colored, flared limbs..

Unless you bring them indoors and RAise a few Youngsters.

All the nick nacks and tally wacks a mantid could ever want are on some of the tropical kinds! go google it or something!

What species did you get?

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ May 28 2006,1:33)]The only insect I will never feed to any cp
smile.gif
What? You give them stag beetles?

Yes, the tropical "flower" mantids are the best but at the prices they want for living specimens, plus importing from England... Empusa is cool too they look a bit like the Xenomorphs from the movie Alien with their elongated head and thin "praying" arms but I haven't been able to find any of those available.

I've just got the normal T. sinensis and soon M. religiosa. Any eggs I do find I would keep in my unheated garage til next april so they're protected from overt winter cold.

from where did u ordered them?

Ebay. Search for "praying mantis egg". The seller Tip Top Bio is where the guys in the pic above came from ($0.99 an egg plus flat rate shipping for as many eggs as you want, they still have them available). Another of their eggs hatched this morning.

do they eat inchworms, by any chance? we're being inundated with them here.

They eat each other and will eat small birds! Im sure they could handle a small inchworm.

Cheers

They generally eat appropriately sized prey, too small they can't grab it and prey too big will either injure them or escape. I wouldn't worry about them eating humming birds unless you get some of the large species (such as S. lineola - which I had gotten the first time some years back from a stag beetle breeder company called Antenna & Anetra). As younguns they'll eat fruitflies and fungus gnats and very tiny crickets/ants. I watched one sit in my mini-rose bush and pick ants off the balcony railing one by one last night.

Back