What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattlesnake sketch

I showed this on the board almost a year ago...
DSCN1245.jpg

It went into the cabinet of drawings that would be finished someday(usually stayed until perhaps I spill some kind of water on the desk and soak them). However I ended up taking art this year(need 1 elective to graduate) and had an assignment where this would fit. Looking for a way to cheat/save time a little I simply used the same idea again and this time actually got it pretty darn close to done.It could use some redoing in some areas but I think it will go hibernate for another while...
DSCN1205.jpg

Crotalus viridis oreganus...the Northern Pacific rattlesnake. I hope to spot one of these sometime without someone else pointing it out or catching it first!

Awesome, and one of my favorite crotalids, too!

Very cool! And excellent example of the beauty of getting out of work.
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks guys! I think it is amusing that it actually got finished...despite a very long hiatus!

You should do an eastern diamondback. They are really cool.

Nah, Crotalus lepidus klauberi, gorgeous snakes. I'm a sucker for smooth background colors with strongly contrasting marks.

Mokele

Nice work! We have crotalus viridis oreganus all over these mountains here. See at least 10 a year, and that is when I am not looking for them. Have captured ssp. helleri as well, with a few close calls. Found them all over the Oceanside, Camp Pendleton, Fallbrook area, along with speckled rattlesnakes, crotalus ruber (love the brick red phase), and a host of others.

Ozzy/Mokele: We'll see. If I ever do another rattlesnake sketch it'd have to be something with a contrasting pattern and little to see colorwise. This oreganus could use some color but I have no idea how to use those things.

Bugweed: Not too sure what county you are in but most of the ones I've seen were in this one place we have summer camp of sorts. Typically someone there finds 1 baby each year...depending on who sometimes it gets killed othertimes it is released. No big ones. I also "found" one in Yosemite after some hikers lounging on the side of the trail pointed it out. Dunno how many of you have been their but it is the beginning of the trail that goes to emerald pool...the snake was curled under one of the big boulders that form one wall for the trail. If the hikers didn't point it out I'd have went within 2-3 feet and never seen it(esp. considering I was taking a 4 year old down to get to the restroom). Hopefully the others left it in peace.

Back