What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Same Ol' Story

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I know I seem to have stories like this all the time. I can't figure out why though.

Some of you know that I also do something called Geocaching. If you don't know what that is, Click Here.

About a month ago I hid 8 geocaches. I spent two weekends and about $80 in fuel to hide them. I also had to walk about 20 miles over the two weekends. 15 of that was on one day. 6 of the 8 were rejected because of a rule that NC State Parks have requiring a permit to hide a geocache in their parks. They make it so hard to get a permit that it is almost impossible to get one. Anyway, I had to move the caches off their property.
I got a late start today and I was racing with the clock to get them all moved. At 7 pm I headed for the last one. I had to drive about 15 miles to it. I got there about 7:20. The gate was closed. The geocache was hid on the edge of the park near the back. So I did what anybody would have done. I looked for a dirt road that would get me close to the geocache and walk through the woods towards the cache. I found a nice dirt road that seemed to head in the direction of the geocache. The dirt road quickly turned into not much more than a trail. But I was this close, I couldn't turn back now. I drove until I came to a tree across the trail. I looked on my GPS and I was .03 miles away from my the cache marker I put on my gps when I hid the geocache. So I started towards it. There was some very think woods and I found that it was better to just walk around it instead of through it. I came out near the road inside the park. I checked my GPS again and I realized I had mistaken the marker for where I parked when I hid the geocache for the geocache itself. I still had about .6 miles to go. It wasn't a big setback. I think I have plenty of sunlight let. So I just step up my speed a little and keep going. I jump a fence, and I'm walking down a paved road inside the park. The road ends and the rest of the way is a very open wooded area. Since it's a state park and people are in this area all day, my biggest fear is how I'll explain why I'm there after hours if I'm spotted by a ranger. I'm looking on the GPS and I'm making very good time. I'm walking at full speed and I'm thinking how glad I am that I'm going to get all of these done in one day. I was sure that it was going to take two days. I am now .2 miles from the geocache. Less than five more minutes and I'll have it. That's when I hear a very loud sound. I instantly freeze. I look around trying to find where the sound came from. I can't tell if it came from behind me or in front of me. The sound was so sudden that I couldn't figure out what it was. I talk myself into thinking it must have been a branch scraping a tree or something like that. And since I was almost at the geocache, I kept heading towards it. About 45 seconds later I hear it again and this time there was no doubt that it was some animal, some big animal. I freeze again, this time I could tell it was coming from straight in front of me. The sound was like the one of those little horns that a hunter uses. Rattler, you know what I'm talking about.
I know that the only two animals it could have been was either a deer or bear. I have listened to a number of sounds from each of them and to tell the truth it seems to be a mixture of both. If the bear grunts were faster I think it would be a perfect match. But this is the closest I could find to it. It's a deer rage grunt. The sound I heard didn't have the clicks that you hear and it was much deeper and seemed more threatening. It also seemed to be faster than the sound here.

Rage grunt

I am not sure what it was, because it didn't exactly sound like that. Just somewhat like the end. I also listen to bear sounds and some of those sound similar too. What ever it was it made it very clear that it didn't want me there. I decided that I wanted the same thing it wanted, for me to be far away from there. I first started walking backwards, then after I backed up and nothing came running out, I turned around and started walking the other way a little faster as I walked in. After I turned around I never heard the sound again.

What made this really scary, I was almost a mile away from my van and there was no help for at least a mile.

I think it was a bear-deer hybrid, commonly known as beer.  It leads to many such adventures.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ May 28 2006,8:21)]I think it was a bear-deer hybrid, commonly known as beer. It leads to many such adventures.
LMAO!

keep telling yah Oz you have a sasquatch or skunk ape or someting that thinks you would make a nice date
smile_n_32.gif

I knew the skunk ape would be mentioned. I'm headed back there today, so if you don't hear from me send out a search party to Singletary lake, GPS coordinates N 34 35.793 W078 26.926.

I think the beer explanation is the most plausable.
Budweiser...the breakfast of champions.

I'm with Bruce...I think it was a beer. Did you wake up the next day with a hangover??
smile_n_32.gif

Back