What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I found this in the woods behind my house

Crappy pics, but here they are. What is the name of this? Is it a flava? I have more pics coming, it is just taking me a while to get them loaded on my computer.
sarracenia007.jpg

sarracenia025.jpg

sarracenia023.jpg

The first pic looked to me to be similar to a minor, but the next two pics really do look like a flava.

Yeah, looks like you have more than one species here. The first is probably S. minor x flava. The other pics look almost like oreophila, but that's highly unlikely. Any larger pitchers?

On a side note, it looks like these plants are suffering from lack of light, the result of too many years without a good burn. Could you get us some habitat shots?

More pics please!

Peter

I think you need to look again. Looks more like S. alata to me.

Clue kiddies. B28 is in Mississippi. You are looking at (correct the county if I am wrong, Kristi) a Perry Co., Miss. s. alata. Are they on your property, Kristi??

Yes, they are on my property. Yes, they are in a low light area. I was suprised by that. It is a boggy area (at least when we are not in drought like right now). I do have more pics that I am trying to load, I have dial up and my computer keeps freezing. I'll get more as soon as I can, and I'm not sure I took a good habitat pic, I may have to go back out and get one. That is not a problem. All the plants looked alike to me, so I doubt there is a mix here, just the different pictures.

So does that mean it is okay to dig a few up if they are on my property? Not "my" property, but church property, which is where we live, in the parsonage. These are directly behind our house. Private property. I certainly don't need permission from church members before getting them, I know that. They don't even know what they are.

sarracenia016.jpg

2241f99a.jpg

sarracenia003.jpg

See, it is just very shady, only filtered patches of light here and there. The only thing going for it was the boggy area. There was a fairly large patch of plants though, so something must be right for them. I still have more pics coming.

I'd try to get the local Fire Dept to do a controlled burn to burn all the nasty shrubby growth out of there. The pitcher plants would come back in a phenominal state!

You can see that they are suffering from lack of light. In a few more years they will probably die out. I think you need to remove a few trees too.

About the removing plants. I don't know Al. laws, but in general, you need written permissionfrom the land owner. That means who evers name is on the deed, not the person living on the property.

If you do collect, the best and safest way is collecting seeds.

Dustin is right.  It's hard to get a sense of scale, but those look like Longleaf Pine needles and, if so, the habitat is begging for a burn.

There's a move underway to recreate some of the South's original Longleaf Pine forests because of the economic and the environmental value.  If the church owns much land like that, it could make a little money from pine straw and maybe the occasional selective cutting, while creating a nice piece of habitat.

Looking at the pictures now its obvious that those are S. alata. I must have been really tired yesterday.

A controlled burn would really be the best thing here, and restoring the bog is probably much more rewarding than taking the plants anyway. No point in going to the trouble of growing things in pots if they'd be happier in the ground.

Peter

Well, you have to understand the area I'm living is socially. There is no way I could ever approach the topic of some kind of consevation effort for these plants. They will make it or not, I am not even going to try to get them to do something to this bog to help the plants grow better. You have to understand southern small town mindset.

I am glad to have found these plants, and I will enjoy watching them through the seasons. There are more throughout the woods everywhere here, and a lot of this land is national forest area, and it gets burned regularly. They are aware of these plants and hopefully they care about them. They have a pitchure of them in the forestry station. The ones on the church land will make it or not, they don't care, but some the national forest habitat is being cared for.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, you have to understand the area I'm living is socially. There is no way I could ever approach the topic of some kind of consevation effort for these plants. They will make it or not, I am not even going to try to get them to do something to this bog to help the plants grow better. You have to understand southern small town mindset.

Well, I must disagree. If you don't ever broach the topic, how on earth do you think that mind set will ever change? No social paradigms ever evolve without challenge.

That's easy to say up here.  That's why I mentioned the economic benefits of doing controlled burns in a Longleaf Pine forest.  I spent some years in Mississippi and environmental issues seem to carry a lot of baggage there.  My uncle, who was a minister with a deep interest in nature, moved to a small Mississippi town and found people had no interest in talking about a lot of what interested him in the world.  I suppose he could have tried to challenge the social paradigm, but the only movement probably would have been his family moving on looking for the next job.

LOL, like I said, you have to live here or have lived here to understand. I am already the weird one for growing CPs and keeping poison dart frogs. I knew that there would be some who really don't understand the south chime in and say I was wrong for saying that. As much as I would like to educate people about it, it is not going to happen here. you can see their eyes glaze over when I try to talk about anything like that, and I have tried. I certainly don't need to alienate people here, I need to fit in since it is very important to my husband's ministry for us to connect with people here. They did not bring us here so we could educate them on environmental issues.

Then dig them up and give them to the preserve to replant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That's easy to say up here. That's why I mentioned the economic benefits of doing controlled burns in a Longleaf Pine forest. I spent some years in Mississippi and environmental issues seem to carry a lot of baggage there. My uncle, who was a minister with a deep interest in nature, moved to a small Mississippi town and found people had no interest in talking about a lot of what interested him in the world. I suppose he could have tried to challenge the social paradigm, but the only movement probably would have been his family moving on looking for the next job.

More like: Easy for me to say because I'm used to being somewhat of a social pariah! Lol.

I LOVE a good fight. Expecially when I'm right (rare, that).

Had a tough time keeping any friends until College (when I was able to find more like-minded people). Odd how that works.

At any rate, Nep G. is right - just draw up a quick document and have to deed holder sign it allowing you to dig them up. They're going to die out there, and that's a loss of genetic material. We're already running short on that with this genus.

Back