What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mabudon

Metal King
I remember when I used to read about folks who had stuff coming up in pots and they didn't know what it was...

Being a newbie at the time, I used to think "MAN, that would be so cool to just have tons of sundews, it wouldn't bother me if they were un-id-ed"

How times change- I must have over 500 sprouts in my collection that I have NO idea what the heck they are... it went from "delightful" to "still pretty cool" to now more like "dangit what the HECK is that???"

My main problem is that I'm not SO serious a grower as to just cull stuff that I can't reconize right off the hop, just in case it IS what I was hoping it would be, but now I have almost 25% of my space taken up by huge mats of tiny red and green thingies, which was made even worse after my genius cutting-spree a couple of months back- I started with just cuttings of D "marston Dragon" and put one or two in the empty spaces of a few pots... THEN I dedcided that I could tell the difference between that and D.dichotoma "giant" so I took some cuttings of that and put it in a few other pots (being sure I could remember which) THEN I found that D.venusta can be easily propagated by flower-stalk cuttings, and having a LOT of them, well, I took a few moer- they are rosetted after all and would look nothing like the binata complex stuff I was doing... THEN I was repotting a D.collinsiae and got an extra root cutting or two, and I was PRETTY sure I put them into only one pot...

So now I have hordes of little plants hiding amongst their brothers and sisters- the cuttings I will be able to sort out I am sure, but the "volunteers" are driving me mad- they're SO small and crowded, EVERYTHING is red except for a couple of green ones mixed in (which is especially odd to me, since they are all of one or two species in the same conditions, most variability I've yet seen from seeds)

So I don't know what I'm trying to say, but I could ask about others with similar experiences, and what they did/plan to do/think they would do in this situation...

And I think I'm finally good enough to call myself "semi-experienced"
biggrin.gif

EDIT- I fully expect somone to tell me that I need to take better notes- I'll make a note of that when it happens
biggrin.gif

lol depending on what im doing i dont mind unlabled stuff. i just recieved a bunch of lil bitty unknown pings cause i like them in my office window. being that they are in a place easily accessable by lil kids i would rather not have a punch of plants i only have one or two of up there. unknowns are perfect for the situation.

if all else fails give them to newbies simply labled D. unidentified and let them have a crack at trying them out.

LOL already tried to give em away- every CP enthusiast I've personally met has at least one D "?" in their collection, I'm prolly going to donate a horde of stuff to the local highschool next fall once that starts up again, they have a greenhouse program for kids with learning disabilities of all sorts and they really dug the pots of D.capensis I unloaded.. err... donated to them
biggrin.gif

actually i know what all my drosera pots are, its the drosera in the ping pots that are confusing
smile_n_32.gif
i think they are spatulata "Hong Kong" but they might be oblanceolata "Hong Kong, Sunset Peak" freaking weeds....................................
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

...or you can have one humungous pot labeled, "Sundew Surprise".  
smile_m_32.gif

Dscn0163.sized.jpg

i personally like Tamlins Drosera roundandstickii
smile_n_32.gif

Hahhahaha, it gets WORSE, mateys!  Many Drosera cross fertilize without any problem, so later generations of many of them, especially the South African species can diverge from the typical.  Few people actually sow the f2 generation seed to check it before passing it on. Personally,  I have had many plants appear as seedlings with no real distictions, at least none solid enough to put a name to.  People have sent me photo's of the plants they grew from my seed....D. dielsiana comes to mind especially, and I was SHOCKED to see no resembelence to the parent plant. Unprotected sex was what happened there!

I used to care very much about these matters, but now take pleasure in the forms of the plants, and leave the names behind along with the frustrations of taxonomy.  Nowadays all my evaluations come with a hearty "might be" or "looks sorta like".

Remember Tamlins Razor: If it looks like it might be D. spatulata, it is.

Awwww, don't let it get to ya.  After awhile good typical specimens are easily recognized.  IF something looks different from the others, pot it up apart.

Who knows, you might get Drosera meristocalulis for less than 85.00, whooooeee!  Not sure who is more brain dead, the folk buying it or the seller......

Anyways, why not offer them on the trade forum as is?  I am always willing to ID from a good photo, just post em in the whazzit forum.

I can't claim credit for D. roundandstickya, I stole the term from a chap in New Zealand, Mr. Andrew Broome in the course of a happy correspondence.

And I'm sure that in nature, from one bog or fen or swamp to the next, the gene pool and phenotypes are being mixed and subtley changed from year to year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Who knows, you might get Drosera meristocalulis for less than 85.00, whooooeee! Not sure who is more brain dead, the folk buying it or the seller......

LMAO!!!!!!!! i vote seller!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ June 01 2006,8:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Who knows, you might get Drosera meristocalulis for less than 85.00, whooooeee! Not sure who is more brain dead, the folk buying it or the seller......

LMAO!!!!!!!! i vote seller!
Not sure myself Rattler. It's a pretty close call but I'm leaning towards the buyer. As they say "A fool and his money..."

Back