What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rinsing sphagnum peat...

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
As I was driving one of my sons to school this morning I saw that someone had out to the curb - 6 hanging baskets. On my way back, I did a little discreet garbage picking. And then I had an idea. I thought, why not fill the basket with the peat and run water over it, kneading it until it was thoroughly moist and pouring water over it so that the impurities were rinsed away. Then I could mix in sand on top and have a ready made CP vessel.

Cool idea. Whatcha gonna plant in them thar baskets?
smile.gif

Don't know yet. We'll see what turns up in the myriad of trades that pop up during the coming months. I like the idea of sprouting D. binata and let 'em have at it... or filiformis. I just liked how quick and easy it is to saturate and cleanse a lot of peat and then mix with sand.

I vote for D. binata! I always wanted to try it in a hanging ball of LFS but it would be a chore to keep it watered if hanging so I haven 't done it. Plants should grow out of the bottom and sides.

smile_l_32.gif
that would be reallycool if you do it take a picture of it! At ALL COSTS! lol

Cheers

Well, I could transfer my D. Marston Dragon x Multifida Extrema... Pictures? Procuring a camera has been an albatross for me!

Tamlin: have you seen the baskets that have plastic iside of them? they are a genious way to reduce drying in a basket. if you cant find any you can just make your own and fill it with Binata!
good luck!
alex

Back