What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gave in to RO Unit

droseraguy

Illinois
Ok, I gave in and bought an RO unit finally. It's a whirlpool WHER25. Are there any pitfalls to installing this bad boy ? What led up to this was the constant buying of bottled water for my wife and jugs of distilled for my plants.

To make a long story short, I installed the old one my dad had laying in his basement unused for YEARS. (Headache #1) No pressure through the RO membrane. Messed with it for a couple of days before realizing even if it does work and is free, the replacement RO membrane would have to be bought from the Smithsonian for quite a bit I'm sure.

Enter new RO unit I picked up today. Looks plenty simple compared to installing that Edsel on my basement wall. Now how about running the water through the older ones prefilter and carbon filter before hooking to the new one ? In essence making it a 5 stage instead of a 3 ? As long as I'm at it why not hook up the holding tank and put both the old and new in line for double capacity ?

Daydreaming till you all shoot me down in flames

Betcha can't hit me from your doghouse rattler mt !
smile_l_32.gif

If you have two holding tanks you could put them in line.

I don't think you will gain much advantage running the water through the old prefilter/carbon and then through the new prefilter/carbon before the RO membrane. If the first set is functioning properly there will be little for the 2nd set to remove. The filters may be interchangeable if they are standard sized, in which case you can just keep one of each for when it comes time to replace them.

Congrats, not having to buy distilled water all the time is priceless! 5 stage idea sounds good. Don't know about the double capacity thing. The storage tanks are pressurized, and I don't know if the ro unit will be able to provide enough pressure to fill up both tanks.

Back