What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Presenting the amazing singing frog

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I just finished my latest animation maquette sculpt:

michiganfrog1.jpg

michiganfrog2.jpg

Sorry for the bad lighting, I couldn't wait for daylight to show it off so these are just quicke shots and not the finals that'll be in my portfolio.

WOW!!! That's really nice. How long does it take you to make one of them? and what do you use? I'd like to try making something like that, though not as complicated of course

Thanks it's my first since getting over a slight bit of carpel tunnel in my left hand, it's great to be working again!

Length of time varies depending upon what kind of project I'm doing, cartoons are often faster as most charachters are merely conglomerations of exaggerated shapes. You have to "make up" a bit bringing 2D into 3D, it's a bit of interpretation. Whereas if you're sculpting a human or something with an anatomy you have more concrete guidelines to follow and that can slow things down to make sure everything is right and would work in the real world.

I use Super Sculpey polymer clay for presculpts like these. If I were to be sending the final to a client I would refine it by molding it in wax (instead of painting it) and making the surface and details super crisp for production. But this is just another sculpt to "pad my resume" as it were.
smile.gif

Super sculpey is a fantastic medium and the one most often used in the toy sculpting field. It's also available almost everywhere they sell crafts as many people like to make necklace beads out of it but it has so much more potential and has been adpoted by the collectibles and doll industry as a prototyping medium. Wax is starting to take over as the finish medium but SS has staying power. You should definately start sculpting, I first started a couple years ago wanting to make a Nepenthes model kit and found out that was so simple I wanted to do more and more. It's very addicting to see what you can do and eventually get a job of freelance sculpting if you make contacts with the right companies who pay better than one off commissions but commissions allow you to get paid to practice and no harm in that!
smile.gif

OMG, you have 'Don't put the baby in the box' as your avatar. I absolutely love that warning sticker. I have nine or ten of them. Ultimate coolness. And great work with the frog, as with all your work. Sorry I haven't contacted you about those cuttings yet - things have gone crazy and suddenly I am like $2000 in the hole, so I'm not sure when I'll have my new highland enclosure finished. I'll be in touch when my situation is a little more under control.
Peace,
~Joe

Awwww...the singing frog! I LOVE that guy! Great job as always and nice to be awakened to a memory I'd forgotten.
smile.gif

I thought that was the funniest warning sticker I've ever seen! Does anyone put babies in clear styrex storage bins? And if the warning is for babies... they probably don't know what the sticker means...
laugh.gif

Looks great to me! You should do one of like a Cartoon VFT

Animatedflytrap.gif

I want one of those stickers now!

when i was a baby... I climbed into a clear storage bin. Actually when i was 4 or soemthing.

Cool frog. What did you use to stand him up?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ June 14 2006,10:25)]I thought that was the funniest warning sticker I've ever seen! Does anyone put babies in clear styrex storage bins? And if the warning is for babies... they probably don't know what the sticker means...
laugh.gif
How can one resist? Babies and bins are like peanut butter and jelly.

Under the clay is a wire "skeleton" called an armature there's just an extra inch or so of wire protruding from the bottom of the foot on the ground which goes into the base and give him vertical support. His final base will probably be either the WB shield logo or the Looney Tunes spiral logo I haven't decided yet. I was also pondering making a large lunchbox for him to be dancing across so it's totally true to the cartoon. He's sculpted in "lifesize" according to the hand of the construction worker in the cartoon who finds him in his lunchbox.

Back