What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old video

That was good... thanks.
smile.gif

That was interesting. Kinda weird mouse trap they had though.

-Ben

Its some what enlightening...

The grass hoppers were eating the plant!

I love old biology stuff; it's just so amusing. I picked up some old bio textbooks last summer, and it's so great reading about 'the unknown genetic material in cells'.

Mokele

that was awesome. Old school biology documentaries rock...with the Disneyish tunes in the background and how they make everything so dramatic and mysterious.

And the VFTs were in Lowe's cubes!

That was great.
smile.gif
The dramatic music is a hoot. Very informative piece though.

Thanks for sharing that.

That's awesome, wish it was longer.

Thanks! The Utricularia part was great
smile_n_32.gif

OMG! The slow plastic boring trap killed the mouse!

"someday we'll know"
biggrin.gif

i love to see how much god was apart of science back then, now they contradict
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] i love to see how much god was apart of science back then, now they contradict

Neither is actually true. In the past, references to God in science were common but were often in a Deist sense: God as the divine watchmaker, with scientists attempting to determine how the clock works. God would be mentioned in gradiose literary statements about the marvels of the universe, but the actual substance of science was the same: we did X to Y and got Z result leading us to conclusion A.

The perception of a hostility or incompatability between God and science today is equally illusory. In fact, it was one of the most prominent scientists of recent history, Stephen J Gould, who put forth the concept of 'non-overlapping magisteria' in reference to this imagined conflict. Essentially, it states that science is about how, about mechanistic solutions, while religion and philosophy are about why, about meaning and morals. Science tells us how the world works, while people's religion and/or philosophy guides how they use this knowledge, and neither has any business in the other.

Mokele

thanks... that was indeed an old video. hubby came wandering in and watched it with me. that was nice.

Back