What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

call me the plant killa!

don't fear- the little bog monsters are thriving and surviving and won't succumb to my black thumb of death.

what kinds of plants do you awesome folks reccommend for retarded folks such as myself? something i won't have to replant each year. i get afternoon sun and i live near Dallas, TX.

here are some pictures of some plants. first the survivors.
here are the two VFTs:
IM000242.jpg

LOOKIE!!! basil is flowering!!
IM000240.jpg

rosemary is untouchable:
IM000243.jpg

ummmm.... the so-called easiest plant has committed suicide(this was a mint one time. i swear):
IM000239.jpg

okay... how the heck do you kill one of these? it's dying. it is a philodendron or something like that.... whatever. it is houseplant thingie. i moved it to the patio the other day so that maybe it could get some sun and come back. i have this ghetto aluminum foil thing going on in the living room (long story) so it was only receiving light from a household lamp
IM000244.jpg

help? is there something besides rosemary that i can fill these newly vacant pots with so i don't feel like such a loser?

if your failing at some of the "easy" species try something more difficult, i still cant keep D. adelae or P. primifolia alive. VFT's seem to be a losing battle for me though i looked to day and there may be hope for mine yet, i see green among the black. however im growing H. minor and D. falconeri just fine go figure
smile_n_32.gif

keep trying

Here's a site that sells quite a few plants that even you may be able to keep from turning brown.

Bugfreak's last chance

youre pots look a uhh little dry! lol Try watering at NIGht b4 you go to bed that way the water doesnt evaporite right off the bat!

Just keep trying, Living in Texas doesnt help much eather! (though some can get away with it IT takes LOTS OF TIME!)

I would just stick to indoor plants!!! how long have you had the mint? I think mint needs dormancy MUCh like VFT's need it... dunno though I could be horrribly wrong!

Don't worry. We all kill some of our plants. Personally, I would recommend D. binata, intermedia, and filiformis as bombproof plants.

D_binata.jpg

s_Wed_086.jpg

D_intermedia_Carolina_Giant_Brunswi.jpg

But there's always cactus and tumbleweeds!
smile_m_32.gif

Jim is unusually creative in inventing new ways to kill plants and, if he ever recommends keeping your plants in a river, just ignore him.

I think more plants are harmed by over-watering than by under-watering.  And by too much fertilizer than by not enough and by a pot that's too big instead of a pot that's too small and so on.

thanks you guys... except ozzy.:)
i think my hubby might get upset if i made a mess and watered fake plants.

havent thought about cactuses.... hmmmm....

Don't worry, I've oft considered making a "Death List." It's like a growlist, except the exact opposite. In it would be catagorized the plants which I had killed, a small obituary, and its monetary value (just to add to the injury.)

But then, any serious long time grower is sure to have lost plants which they would much rather have kept alive. Keep on trying! The rosemary and basil look nice. I just killed a bunch of rosemary cuttings from my godmother, too!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]thanks you guys... except ozzy.:)

My feelings are so hurt.
smile_h_32.gif

smile_h_32.gif

Back