What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

175 YEAR OLD TORTOISE DIES

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I'm sure that you have already heard. I thought I would post this, it'll put her age in perspective.

Harriet the tortoise, one of the world's oldest living creatures with links to famed naturalist Charles Darwin, has died in Australia at age 175.

The giant Galapagos tortoise died of an acute heart attack after suffering from an illness, according to Australian vet John Hangar.

With her date of birth calculated to 1830, Harriet was born while Andrew Jackson was president of the United States. Abraham Lincoln was assassinated when she was 35. She lived through several of the major wars in recorded history, including the Civil War and both World Wars. She was already 82 years old when the Titanic sank in 1912, and Pearl Harbor was attacked as Harriet reached 111.

When she died Thursday night, Harriet was 330 pounds, about the size of a large dinner table and the star attraction at the Australian Zoo. With only 15,000 tortoises left in the Galapagos and three of the original 14 subspecies now extinct, she gave biologists a unique insight into the potential longevity of giant tortoise species.

Oh God, and just today I was wanting a tortoise shell pick...it's all my fault!!!

I hear that the blight affecting redwoods is also going to take out Methusula, the bristle cone pine that was growing when Jesus was a kid and probably the oldest plant on earth.

It scares me.

Poor Darlin'. And how much of that life in captivity? Still, I guess it was better than being eaten by sailors.

probably all her life... if not the last 170 years of her life...

Back