What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White Fuzzy Bugs

I have seen these little fuzzy white bugs that walk slow but when you tuch them they jump! I havent seen a lot of them but courious what they are?
Jim

Might be apid nymphs or possibly mealybug although they don't do a lot of jumping.

Do they have fury looking rabit ears sticking forward on their head? If so I killed some of these on my Yellow Datura, when I repotted it. They might be the ones which covered all of it's leaves with tiny pin holes!

Tamlin my mealy bugs try to jump away when I try to squish them. Rubbing alchol with a q tip can help kill small populations, but larger ones you might need a chemical. Hmmm why don;t I use my own advice? The qtip and rubbing alcohol or heck vodka worked one for me too oh those pecky aphid on my flawer stalks might help too.

They look like white dust if that helps.

If they are the same size I hav the same thing on my spikes too. small like dust. mealy bugs are a goos size. Those sound like aphids.

You didn't mention how large they are--but it almost sounds like a wooly aphid

Did it look like this? Wooly Aphid

JB, the alcohol trick works if you have just a few plants and are DEDICATED. You have to do daily inspections for about a month to be sure you get all the hatchlings that keep on coming back, AAARRRGGGHH!

That links says found exclusively on hackberry trees. Just this weekend I found one of those on an orchid. It too jumped when I tried to knock it off. I only saw the one. I thought it was a mealy bug but maybe mealies don't jump.

we have those white furry things but the ones I've seen fly.

There you go That is what it is!!!!!!!!!!!! Darn dangit! Gota get some aphid killer!!

Thanks for all your help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

PlantAKiss: I used the best/closest photo I could find of a wooly aphid--I've occasionally found them here on other plants here in AK--over the past 5 years or so have seen them on honeysuckle, and I think even some Rugosa Roses.

pasoftim: Sounds like those critters' days are numbered--Happy Hunting!

Thanks Michael.
smile.gif
Isn't that strange I JUST saw one on my orchid. And thank god it was just one.

The first time I encountered them, my Mom was on vacation, I was popping in to take care of her garden/yard--I was fascinated and, as it turns out, she was not...they were dispatched rather quickly after her return.  A grown-up kid and his bugs. It's my folks fault...this love of nature and critters...  
smile.gif

Thanks for finding out what they are! The hunt is on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back