What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bogus TDS readings

• Thread starter RL7836
  • Start date
I have a water sump under my tanks for overflow water. I test this water for TDS periodically and replace it if the readings get too high. This past week the readings were over 400ppm. I changed the water with new RO water and the reading remained over 400ppm. Fearing that my RO membranes were shot, I went into the basement and checked the RO water and got a reading of 5ppm. Now - I'm confused so I check all of my water.
actions1.gif

The water I just removed from the sump is 6ppm (in the bucket in another room). Another reservoir is 5ppm. I recheck the sump and it is reading over 400ppm (still).
301.gif

I now remove a cup of water from the sump & go to another room and get a reading of 5ppm.

Evidently, the electric / electronic equipment in the vicinity of the sump is causing the meter to provide erroneous readings. I've never seen this before nor heard of anyone else having this experience.

I'm interested in hearing of other theories or experiences ...

Maybe the unique shape of the sump alters the structure of the water, forming dodecahedrons that channel astral powers. Not only might such water increase brain power and cure the common cold, it could also bamboozle TDS meter circuitry. Or maybe there's another explanation.

Sounds good to me Bruce, I'll buy it.

I have a TDSmeter and I'd be glad to test your water for you just to see what I get.

I'll also test any other members water free of charge. Just mail me some.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Evidently, the electric / electronic equipment in the vicinity of the sump is causing the meter to provide erroneous readings.

Nope, never heard of that happening before. I'll keep that in mind however if I get some interesting readings myself.

-Homer

How about if you set the meter in the water.. and walk in and out of that room... Does it change right there in front of your eyes?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ July 11 2006,3:56)]How about if you set the meter in the water.. and walk in and out of that room... Does it change right there in front of your eyes?
Tried this and yes, it changed before my eyes - although the readings were not linear....

They quickly drop from over 400 to around 75 within 6" of the sump. From 6" to about 3 ft away - the readings go from 75 to mid 30's. After that, the readings drop quickly to the 5-6 range with only inches of movement.

The reverse happens when I move closer to the sump (as you'd expect). Very reproduceable and relatively consistent.

Back