What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

they have arrived.....................

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
Dendrobates imitator, bout 3 months old, roughly 1/2 inch long and are almost full grown. 3 of them showed up today. my first thumbnail dart frogs
9f8c8314.jpg

72aa68e3.jpg

and for those who are interested this is the chaos of my plant/frog/snake/scorpion/fish room
02b74590.jpg

Ooooooh! Cool snake/fish/scorpion/plant/everything room.
laugh.gif
I love poison dart frogs! Always nice to see pictures of them, thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

laugh.gif
Im diggin the little guy! They are soo cool but sooooo expensive! I want my basment to look JUST like yourse!

expensive compaired to what? imitators run about $50-$60 apiece as youngins. N. 'Predator' is what? $100? depends on what your interested in.

oh and the frogs tend to multiply, on a frog board i got chastized for selling some Mantellas to cheap by other mantella breeders though probably not for the reasons yah prolly think. they were worried about newbies buying the frogs who didnt appreciate what they were and treating them like a "cheap frog" however i was concerned about them going to a good home because they are quite rare as captive bred though in a couple years they should be much more common. Mantellas have been very under appreciated in the past and lots of them died because of them being a disposable pet. now the imports from Madigascar are slowly drying up and very few ppl have attemped to breed them so they are not established in the hobby..............yet. im having luck with one species, and am trying to put together several other breeding groups of other species.

ive got a $40-$50 frog coming out of the water atleast once a month at the moment. in a few months if i wind up with a pair out of these 3 ill have 2 tanks of frogs producing frogs that their is a demand for

No way am I going to spend 100 dollars on a plant, sorry they are cool looking, but the highest I would be willing to go for a plant is maybe around 30-40 dollars.

As for the animals, they are a bit more difrent, I would spend 100-200 dollars on a companion for life. And frogs, getting the price for the Frogs Vivariums and what not. sounds like ALOT of work to me... But Im glad that it works for you, either way, If I had the chance time and money I would love to keep some frogs!

I may get some dart frogs some time. I can get any number of just about any size tank for free, so that could take some of the cost. My old marine bio teacher with whok I'm on good terms is offering me any of his unused aquariums, some're very large.

I gotta learn more about them, though! My favorite is probably the azureus (sure you know the genus if you know dart frogs.)

Dendrobates azureus, my wife has 2 of them
smile_n_32.gif

as far as dart frogs, there is ALOT more work going into keeping their food alive than keeping them going. tincs and azureus are EXTREAMLY hardy frogs if a few basic paramiters are met. im pretty sure anyone who can pay attention to the needs of CP's can keep dart frogs going. i way spend more time fussing over keeping enough fruit fly cultures going than i do worrying about the frogs

LOL, Maybe you know of a link or something that has information on keepin poision dart frogs? Or you could explain the ups and downs on keeping tropical frogs? Cause I know I would love to have a couple of them.

here is the best place to start. do lots of reading before posting any questions as some of the members get grumpy answering the same basic ?'s over and over but its about the best single source of info.

Dendroboard

here is another link with basic info
Saurian Enterprises info page

dart frogs for the most part are simple to keep. a wet, planted tank with plenty of hiding places, normal room temps, regular feeding and they thrive. as i stated before, for most such as Tincs and azureus the price of the frogs has more to do with the time put in to raising them than actual difficulty or rarity. generally its advised to stay away from thumbnails to start with as they are quite a bit smaller and there for slightly harder to feed(springtails and fruit flies) where most of the tincs and azureus can take small crickets if needed along with the smaller prey. leucs are a great first dart, they do well in groups, are generally slightly cheaper than tincs and are quite bold. auratus are generally cheaper but they tend to be shyer. with Tincs and azureus two females SHOULD NOT be kept together as adults as one will probably be bullied and die from the stress. azureus are generally shy when young and yah dont see them much till they are older and than they becom quite bold. tinc(atleast my 2) are jumpy and dive for cover when startled but are out quite abit and i see them all the time. one of mine is generally found plastered to the front glass of the tank watching for me to come over and feed them.

thats all the quick, general pointers i can think of off hand, ill answer any questions yah want to think up as best i can

How much of a problem do you think disease is? Dart people seem a lot more precautious than others about it...quarantine and fecals. Also, coming from fish and newts, I find it a bit odd they require vitamins to survive in captivity but I suppose you get used to that in a while?

cute little buggers foresure

I love this site, i signed up and am looking all over the place, i find it awsome I see pings and sundews scaterd sporaticaly through out some of the vivariums! My name should stick out like a sore thumb to you!

Awww, they're so cute
smilie4.gif
. I want to get started some day raising dart frogs. Its just a little too much money for me though right at the moment. And now I know for sure I have seen you somewhere else before. Also Nflytrap, its not that odd for the vitamin thing. You have to do that for reptiles too, and lizards. They need the calcium and other vitamins so that they can have strong bones, and not get sick. Still is weird though, putting what looks like powdered sugar cover crickets in with geckos.

depends, i dont use suppliments as much as some but i have a variety of food i give them, fruit flies, springtails, isopods, termites ect. a varied diet helps out alot. termites are excellent for fattening up a skinny frog

as far as disease, depends. with wild caught its a concern though i didnt treat any of my Mantellas as none appeared sick. with CB im not worried. i only worry about disease if there is an apparent reason for it. quarenteen the frogs for a few weeks to keep a better eye on them. if all looks good i see no reason to medicate and turn them loose in their own lil forrest
smile_n_32.gif

as far as Dendroboard, its a very cool site but i tend to butt heads with individuals as i dont agree with some of their ideas over what actually qualifies as a color morph and what should be kept seperate and every few months i go rounds with someone over it.

Interesting stuff! Like I said the vitamin supplementation thing will be totally new to me, as the animals I've kept previously do just fine without it. Actually I spend almost nothing on their food as the newts eat worms from a worm bin which costs at most $5 per year to keep with occasional frozen bloodworms as a treat...fish get prepared food, worms, BBS, and daphnia/mozzies from outside or cultures. So the idea of sustaining the life of a critter with some powdered stuff is kinda funny to me. I'm betting all the reptile keepers who do this and UV light(now that is even weirder) prolly think I am crazy though. I bet baby newts which I sometimes have problems with would benefit from the supplements though.

Btw rattler any experience with Mantella baroni? Now that is one colorful mantella. I've seen a few imports at $25.

I might go find a used Fish tanke and slowly convert it into a terrrium that might be suitable to house little darts!
smile.gif
Thanks for turning me onto another life/pocket sucking hobby!
laugh.gif

no experiance with baroni but i have a couple madigascariensis which are quite similar, their pattern is a lil less well defined(rough edges between the colors) and their leg coloring is different im looking for more bestileo(i have a lonly male) and laevigata(so i have another bloodline going).

6cd91a51.jpg

some critters, especially diurnal desert critters, and torts really do benifit from sunlight or an artificial equivilant. as for the powder, it sounds like your critters are getting enough of a varied diet where supliments for the most part are not needed

size referance pic of the imitators, its my thumb
a2980e33.jpg

Back