What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing carnivorous plants in rocks

So I noticed that Sarrancia Northwest started selling some CPs that are growing in pumice rocks and I wondered if anyone had any experience with this type of growth medium. Does it stunt their growth at all? I know that CPs grow in soil that isn't nutrient rich but I thought they needed some nutrients from the soil if only a little bit. Here's the link:

http://www.cobraplant.com/4-carnivorous-plant-store.html

It says they drilled a hole.

I think it's basically a pot...

Well if there is soil, it doesn't look like there's very much and eventually the roots are going to start expanding into the rock itself. It's an interesting concept, I'm just slightly apprehensive as to how effective it is. Not that I'm looking for a prized specimen, I just don't want to growth to be slowed down by a significant amount.

Pinguicula is one species that you will find often growing in rock crevices in various locations. You can seem them cascading down rock cliffs. I've seen Drosera intermedia growing on logs. CPs will grow in some odd places sometimes...places you wouldn't expect.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ July 09 2006,11:50)]Pinguicula is one species that you will find often growing in rock crevices in various locations.  You can seem them cascading down rock cliffs.  I've seen Drosera intermedia growing on logs.  CPs will grow in some odd places sometimes...places you wouldn't expect.  
smile.gif
Peter D'Amato makes a quip about looking up, instead of down to find Mexican pings.

i saw a picture yesterday that had D. intermedia growing on an old shoe!
Alex

Hey femalemonkey (nice name)

like PAK said, pings grow naturally in crevasses and such. You might want to search for mexican. pings in natural habitat pictures, they grow on the sides of cliffs and large rocks. I think Peter D'amato has a pic of one growing in an abelone shell with barely or no soil even.

Back