What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous Nurseries in Western Washington

My birthday is coming up, and my wife is buying me a few "better quality plants" Since, I have taken such a loving interest in my new babies.
smile.gif
But I want to go TO a nursery and not order online. I won't have time to go to Sarracenia Northwest in Oregon, so I would rather go to one here in western Washington. Anyone know of one in the Tacoma/Seatte/Bremerton area?

why dont you just order them? Sarracenia Northwest isnt open to the public if you didnt know.
Alex

yea, I know SN isn't open to the public, but they sell to the public on Saturdays at Gresham Farmer's Market and Portland Saturday Market. And I don't want to order, if I don't have to, because I don't want the hassle or risk of climate shock.

Janson, where in Western Washington do you live? I am in Puyallup, and another grower, Homer, lives in a few blocks from me. There are two carnivorous plant nurseries that I am aware of in Western Washington. Karen Oudean of Oudean's Willow Creek Nursery is up in Snohomish http://www.oudeanswillowcreeknursery.com/ and then there is Cascade Carnivores http://www.cascadecarnivores.com/ I think near Kent. Karen has a lot of sarracenia with a good selection of drosera and pings. Of course, she also has VFT's. CC is mainly a nepenthes nursery. I have not been up there before, but I would like to make a trip up there some day. A trip up to Karen's is a great one to make. I try to make it up there atleast once, sometimes twice. Hope this helps you out.

-Jeremy

Hey Jeremy

Thanks for that info. See, I was not aware of a nursery like that in kent. I live in Gig Harbor. This guy, Homer, where is his place? And what is the selection like? I think I could make a trip to Karen's. I also think there is one called Courting Frog's up there somewhere. And the Exotic Plant Nursery in Ruston, (on the corner where you turn off of Pearl going to the zoo) has a few Sarrs and a couple of VFT's and Sundews, but they are not in the best health, and not worth the price he asks. Anyway, I'm glad to find someone from around me that grows. I'll have to stay in touch. Let me know about Homer or any other places you may think of.

Janson

lol Homer is actually one of our forum members.
smile.gif
A skilled grower he is too...but he's not a public nursery. He made some very generous offerings in the NASC auction. I don't think he sells plants but I could be wrong.

Thanks PAK
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This guy, Homer, where is his place?

I live in Puyallup as well. I just grow "a lot" of Sarracenia and Drosera mainly... enough to sell or trade occasionally. I don't have a true nursery (Ask Jeremy about his "farm"
smile_m_32.gif
), although the possibilities of expanding my collection outdoors has gathered some steam since my wife and I just bought our place. The only 2 things holding me back are time and money
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Exotic Plant Nursery in Ruston, (on the corner where you turn off of Pearl going to the zoo) has a few Sarrs and a couple of VFT's and Sundews, but they are not in the best health, and not worth the price he asks.

Really!? That's interesting. My wife and I drove by there this past Saturday. Too bad only a few overly-priced CPs are offered for sale
smile_h_32.gif

Homer

You know, Homer, you really should start a CP Nursery out here. There are none, really. The nearest is Snohomish as far as I am gathering. Cascade Carnivores recently shut down, so there is definitely a demand, but no supply. The only place is Snohomish or Portland on Saturdays, where Sarracenia Northwest sells. I am starting school next month in Horticultural Science, specialty: Carnivores. If you do decide to do it, and you need an (extremely motivated and interested) employee, let me know. I'm serious. I want to start my own nursery out here, on this side of the Narrows, but I want some experience working for a semi pro first. So let me know.

Janson

Hi Janson,

Thank you for the kind words
smile.gif
. Jeremy and I did sell some CP's at the local Farmers Market last summer at this time. We attempted to rid ourselves of the excess stock of Sarracenia we had growing between our two collections. One year later, I'm afraid we have more now than we had at the beginning of last year
smile_l_32.gif
. Those Sarracenia just keep producing more! Anyway, my point is it was fun, but I wouldn't want to commit to growing enough plants to sell them in volumes to make some decent money. We were approached by someone at the market last summer who was interested in us becoming a wholesaler for some select nurseries that he would get us in contact with. The kicker was Jeremy and I would have to produce the plants "when needed"; and during the winter around Christmas time! (since sales were greatest around the holidays he stated). I wasn't about to grow these plants during the winter for sales. Enjoying the plants on nice spring/summer/fall days outdoors means more to me, not to mention the drawback of the time, money needed to grow them indoors or invest in a greenhouse with a controlled photoperiod, etc.

I'm currently propogating the Petiolaris Complex Drosera and tropical Utricularia, not to mention a few other plants, but those are my bread and butter for now. I guess I'm leaning for a more specialized market, if any, for my infrequent sales I post to the subscribers that sign up on my website. Trades and sharing knowledge, or giving away plants, is very satisfying. I have always kept a ICPS Listserve topic close to heart when the discussion focused on opening a CP business, and how it can destroy a satisfying hobby if one is not carefull (depending on plant sales for income).

Of course I'll keep you in mind if I ever do have a change in heart
smile.gif
. Until then, I'd be more than willing to share all that I know at no charge nonetheless. Ask away!!!

regards,

Homer

Home My thoughts to the exact point!!! I do some teaching a kids camp. ( my daughters lol ) and any money that i will make will go to getting new plants i do not have and sometimes I have thought of selling at plants shows in the area but Not to become wholsale. Good Words my friend

Jim

Back