What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

birch island woods

Birch island is one of my favorite places to hunt for fungi. We have not had rain for a few weeks now, so I did not expect to find anything of interest while I was out there. But just as I was leaving the park, I saw this beauty.

Grifola frondosa? can anyone confirm the ID
image56av.jpg

image31pp.jpg

Other pics taken a couple miles down the road at another park

image225ii.jpg

image84zd.jpg

image146af.jpg

image243lj.jpg

image46ta.jpg

Whats the difference between a Viceory and a Monarch butterfly?
Alex

wow I didnt realize that mushrooms had wings and flowers on them either... lol

Nice shots! While I cant confirm the ID I can say its a preaty cool mushy

Dyflam...you have your finger on the pulse of knowlege.
biggrin.gif
That's very interesting.

Those are great photos Voodoolizard! Wonderful fungi. I've took some mushroom shots at the park a few weeks ago. A nice yellow one. I've got some good butterfly photos from the park too. Thanks for posting.
smile.gif

Why don't you try one of each and let us know.  
biggrin.gif
(Errr...butterfly that is).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is it good to eat?

If your asking about the mushroom, Grifola frondosa (Hen-of-the-woods) it is said to be very tasty... I'm not sure about the butterfly.

It seems every time I take the camera out I come home with a pic of some type of fungi and some type of winged critter... pics taken acouple weeks ago

Coral mushroom
image104iu.jpg

slime mold
image172dy.jpg

moth
image35rd.jpg

Thanks for looking... and I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Chris

oh man, I love the Slime Mold! But its still doesnt rival the coral mushroom, they allways amaze me! But they dont top the purple mushroom I saw!! Nothing ever will! (didnt have my camera)

Back