What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WOW Baby Datura seedling in bloom!

I was out watering the plants today and I was only fortunate to have one Datura ceratocaula ("Torno Loco" the only swamp growing datura) not keel over. It's still only 4" high or so but it's got a bloom coming!
It'll be funny to see how big the bloom is on this tiny plant. I think I should probably stake the tiny stem so the flower doesn't kill the stem.
dceratocaula1.jpg

dceratocaula2.jpg

awesome dude. do they grow wild where you live like they do here? (the genus maybe not the species lol)

I just wiped out a patch of 20+ plants at work.. They are definatly not roundup ready. Not Datura ceratocaula, but another Datura species. Didn't really look at them just noticed the seed pods.

No, none locally that I know of in Minnesota. I'm just a Datura fan so I bought seed from everywhere and got all the species. Some are really weak as seedlings: D. ceratocaula, D. discolor, D. leichhardtii and D. quercifolia (oak leaf species). I only have one survivor of each I hope I can get seed for next year and maybe have better luck with fresher seed.
The widespread species in the US is D. stramonium (Jimsonweed/Jamestown weed) often sold as seed packs labeled Devils Trumpet "fleur de lilac" (actually it's D. stramonium var. tatula) every seed of that species germinated easily.

we know why oure a datura fan!
smile_m_32.gif

What are you gonna use a couple of tooth picks,
laugh.gif

Get some pics of the bloom as soon as possible!

Back