What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Test

• Thread starter glider14
  • Start date

glider14

Always a newbie
ok i got this for our water company.
is the water safe t use on cps?
"Water hardness is measured as calcium carbonate. Usually when hardness is lower than 60 mg/l the water is “soft”. When hardness is higher than 180 mg/l the water is “hard”. LWC water is moderately hard, at 145 mg/l. That equals 8.5 grains per gallon."
what ppm is that?
Alex

PS ask if you need any other info i got a load of info but have no idea what it means.

ppm is basically irrelevant..
the "145 mg/l" number already tells you the water is too hard.
you could try to convert to ppm, but there isnt much point IMO..you already have your answer.

Scot

darn...thanks

For ordinary water under ordinary conditions, 1 mg/l = 1 ppm. And don't rely on that map to predict what's coming out of your faucet.

it also depends on if you have well water. Thats probably based mainly off city.

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ July 12 2006,4:26)]it also depends on if you have well water. Thats probably based mainly off city.

Cheers
probably not..
I would guess that map is actually based on well water.
because big chunks of the USA dont have "city water"..
and city water comes from local water anyway, so city water and well water generally arent much different in most areas.

city water is treated, so generally, most "city water" is likely to be *slighty* softer than well water from the same area, but not by much..
not enough to make a difference for CP's..

all city water comes from generally the same place as well water..exceptions would be New York City and areas close to the Great Lakes (where Lake Water (city water) could be very different from local well water.)

but using that map is probably 90% accurate to judge *all* of your local water.."city" or "well"...
I doubt anyone in the "really hard water" areas, such as (nearly) the entire state of Utah, has really hard well water, but extremely soft city water..probably not happening.

In order for your local water to be soft enough to grow CPs..the water in the ground has to be really soft..
very few people are so lucky.

Scot

That map is based on surface water data, with river basins classified on the basis of the chemistry of the river draining each. Some of those dark blue, soft water areas include places underlain by limestone and probably have plenty of wells yielding hard water.

Back