What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i'm GOING to do it this time!

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
i'm seriously going to quit smoking this time. i'm on the patch and it helps alot. yesterday i put on a 20 mg patch and i was bouncing off the walls, so today i'm only using half a patch.

if anyone has any tips on quitting, PLEASE tell me cuz i really want to quit. i even have asthma.

I just want to express my support. We're pullin' for ya!

Yep, ya gotta do it. I started up again like a ding dong and now go through the process of deciding whether to get a couple gallons of gas of a half a pack of smokes. Try to change the stress levels in your day by whatever means possible and fill up your time with something leisurely like separating sundew seeds from the flower chaff. I'm pulling for you too !

I've never smoked, but I think it would be useful to be angry at the cigarettes. You can't look at them as something you want, but can't have... that's where all the conflict comes from.

There is a group of people out there who have actually been charging you for the service of trying to kill you. Think about that every time you look at a cigarette, and get pissed. Refuse to ever pay them another penny.

well the thing is i started in the 7th grade cuz my parents did it and i wanted to see what it was all about. it wasn't fun and so i thought (maybe if i try agian it'll be ok) and that's how i got hooked.

curiosity killed the cat

Hmmm I don;t know how my dad did it. I think he was taking the presciption from the Doctor to get him started. I know its hard. I'm a profesional Bum. Social smoker if you will. I don't have to I just want to sometimes. Or if I am drinking I want a smoke. I don;t know any good advice because for myself if I don;t want to I don;t and don't think twice. My grandfather stopped smokine, after smokeing for MANY years, cold turkey. Never smoked again. AND THE MAN SMOKED CAMAL NON FILTERS!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Clint. I know its a nasty addiction and I am pulling for you Bro!

i'm really afraid i'll get fat too.

i figure even if i become addicted to the patch/gum, that can't hurt me right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i figure even if i become addicted to the patch/gum, that can't hurt me right?

Well, you'd still be subjected to the nicotine, which isn't a happy thing. Being addicted to the patch would be better than the smokes if for no other reason than to give your lungs a break, but if you want to break the addiction, you're going to need to give nicotine the boot out of your system. Not to mention you don't want to escalate an addiction to nicotine by using the patch.

Good luck!

right but can nicotine do anything bad from the patch?

quitting meth was easier for me than nicotine
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Nicotine is almost 50x more toxic than arsenic... so I think it can legitimately be considered a poison here.

Another thing that can work against you in the addiction is the feeling (illusion) that since you're used to it, it must be safe.

My grandfather died recently of emphysema. He smoked for a decade or two when he was young. When it started to become clear that cigarettes were dangerous (in his day they really didn't know) he quit. One day, 40 healthy smoke-less years later, he suddenly can't breathe. He ends up strapped to an oxygen machine for the last years of his life. Before that day, he was doing things people 20 years younger couldn't do.

You aren't safe.

Anger, fear, whatever... they're all much more useful feelings to feel than longing in this situation. Intellectually you know that this is bad for you, but a more primal experiential part of you thinks it's good for you (and not just chemically)... it's that part that you need to dig up and boot out of your psyche. If that part weren't there, it would be impossible for cigarettes to appeal to you.

I keep thinking of some people I know who are trying to lose weight. They say things like, "I wish I could eat all of this junk without gaining weight." Their problem is right there in black and white. If they see oreos as the most comforting best tasting treat ever, then the struggle will always be there. If they see oreos as nutritionally-defunct garbage engineered to deceive a person's tastebuds into thinking something is "good" when it isn't (and then being charged money to get deceived by people who don't give a crap about their health), they're instantly cured, as long as they don't forget the truth.

So... deal with the want. The want is the real threat.

It might also help to just see the withdrawal symptoms like you might see something like the flu... you can ease it a little with medication, but otherwise it's just a nasty experience that you really can't do much about and you're forced to just wait it out. The idea that you can just "undo" it is too seductive... try to forget about that and see the withdrawal as something that's just out of your hands.

NOW IS THE TIME, CLINT!!! Quitting is hard and it only gets harder, the longer you wait. My buddy Jonny is trying to quit right now (or rather, talking about quitting immediately before asking to bum a cig) and I'm giving him hell because he is WEAK!
I used to smoke back when I was a little younger than you, really bad. I quit once with moderate success, but didn't actually stop smoking. I cut way back and told people I was quitting, but the cravings never went away. And even though I was only smoking a fraction of what I had been before, I remained a daily smoker and was still wheezing and sickly from it. After a while, 'quitting' stopped meaning much to me and I was back to smoking whenever the compulsion hit me, albeit I was a little more moderate. So, tip no. 1 from Joe; if it is at all possible, quit cold turkey. Say no and mean it. If you don't, your subconcious will get the better of you and make all kinds of excuses as to why you can smoke one cig now and still not be a "smoker." Eventually the commitment you've made will become meaningless.
When I was in high school and right about your age, I had lots of extra credits in math and english so I didn't have to take the mandatory courses in those areas my junior and senior years. So, I got out of school one period early. On Thursdays, when we only had even-numbered periods, that meant that I got out at lunch time, along with several of my friends. So somebody came up with this absurd idea to buy cheap cigars and have a 'smoking club' of sorts on Thursday afternoons. Now, I know some cigars are good and I've enjoyed a few, but these were not good cigars. I remember thinking that mine tasted of slightly spoiled deli ham and leaf mould. Anyhow, there were lots of big, forested parks around my neighborhood where we used to hang out, so on one such smoking club day we hiked out into the woods to smoke. I wasn't paying too much attention, and was inhaling my cigar bit by bit rather than just puffing on it. So, cigars done, time to go find some other trouble, we get up and start walking around and I feel REALLY woozy. I'm talking root-canal anesthesia quality woozy, only not in a good way. After about twenty minutes of hiking up and down hills with no trails, I was green as a leaf and had to lie down. I don't know how long I was down, but I think the Earth revolved around me a few dozen times before I started to feel better. Ever since then, I have had very little compunction to even obtain tobacco products, and although I'll still bum a drag off of a friend every now and again, I've yet to be compelled to smoke an entire cigarette - the very notion makes my stomach turn just a little. So, tip from Joe no. 2: vigorous exercise interspersed with cheap cigars. Negative reinforcement can work wonders.
All in all, you've made an excellent decision and I'm glad to hear that you're doing it now when most kids still think they're invincible and susceptible to no one's influence but their own. We're all backing you 120%.
Best luck,
~Joe

Chew a lot of mint gum.

dudes the patch is awesome. without the patch i would be clawing at the walls but with the patch i feel like i could take it out leave it. i've hardly though about cigs all day!

you guys are so supportive, thanks!

Im hear to show suport. 3ish years ago I had started, and got hooked for a year, then After that year I had to move, a month. So Me being 15 I had no choice but to quit cause getting them wasnt an option any more.

That was the longest trip of my life. Ill be rootin for ya!

i smoked for 10 years and i quit. food and the patch did the trick for me. my most tough day was day 5. man! cranky is an understatement.... how bout PURE EVIL. well anyway, it helps to keep yourself distracted. i ate a LOT of cheesecake. i gained a tad bit of weight but i lost it later on. small price to pay in my case.

just hang in there. whenever i had a reeal bad craving, i would remind myself that there is nicotine in my system from the patch- quit whining and ****! i'd go throw a tatrum for a bit then try to find something to do. whether it was coloring or playing a game or whatever.

food and nicotine gum/patches work but dont go overboard with the food. i have never smoked nor i will never try it. try to do other things to keep your mind off them. hang out with your friends, go to the movies, play a game JUST DO SOMTHING!
Im rootin for ya!
Alex

Also What I found was fun was Hitting things... Taking a Sledg hamer (I had an axe and some wood but im sure a sledg hamer works just the same?) and Bash some bricks or something. Crack logs for fire wood!

I'm a smoker also and I've been wanting to quit for sometime. I got hooked during my first years as a cook. As a cook you don't get breaks as most professions do but if you're a smoker you're allowed to go and take five (that's where it starts).
I'm the executive chef now and i control when everyone takes a smoke break. I'm tired of smoking and I will stand up and join you in your quest to quit...
nicotine does play a card in this (as far as your patch question goes).

"Smoking increases the risk of erectile dysfunction by around 50% for men in their 30s and 40s...."

if that isn't a reason to quit I don't know what is.

"quitting meth was easier for me than nicotine"

"Smoking increases the risk of erectile dysfunction by around 50% for men in their 30s and 40s...."

Thats funny
biggrin.gif
, the gov gets payed to keep it legall and it addvertizes through movies.

I wish you alot of luck... when I was sevenish i smoked at a party ,my parents were having, just because i was sooooo currious about why it was "good" and even till today when someone is smoking it smells sooooo good yet that was definetly not how it smelled before. Tobacco is evil, it alters the way you think and behave. It numbs you and sepperates you from your true conscious. You are allready through the first step, admitting it and dettermining you want to quit.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Back