What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to pack for shipping?

how would i package a larger nep for shipping if i was sending it to someone? it's in a 6" pot, with a diameter of 12-14", and might be 14" tall? any ideas?

thanks in advance!
tech...

a ziplock, garbage bag, big enough box and packing peanuts.

i generally ship large plants bare root. wrap the root ball in damp LFS, place root ball in ziplock bag and afix securly with garbage bag tie, next i take a garbage bag, mist the inside a bit, and wrap up the nep, box it up, stabilize it with peanuts and ship it out

In shipping any plant, its a good idea to stabilize it and minimize the amount of space the plant has to move. If there is a lot of open space, it will bounce around in the box. So minimize "bounce space" as much as possible.

If you want to try to protect the fluid in the pitchers, you can take a cottonball, wrap it in plastic, and stick it down in the throat of the pitcher. It won't hurt the pitcher and it will keep nep fluid from spilling out.

theres nothing worse than opening up a box with a huge nepenthes or sarracenia and having rotten bug juice everywhere

blagh!

First cover the plant with a cup. Since yours is so big, get a large pot and cover the plant since it won't be big enough. Then, secure this pot to the pot that the plant is in with a lot of tape. Finally, take a box and put the whole thing in, along with newspaper stuffed in to prevent movement.

I was going to post the same question... fast on the draw

I just shipped a smaller version. I filled a baggie with perlite and placed the root end in it, enclosing the top. Then I put the whole thing in a gallon size Ziplock and sealed it with lots of air Then I put that in a box and filled the boz with wadded up newspapers.

Back