What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

plant suggestions

Well, I found a 3 inch deep, about 7 inch wide undrained pot. It's circular and I wanted to grow some kind of CP in it. I just wanted some suggestions, as it's pretty shallow and have no idea what I can grow in it, let alone what I want to grow in it. Oh I also didn't really know where to put this... hopefully this is the right place.
smile_l_32.gif

It sounds like a candidate for a utric or genlisea.

oooo yeah, that would look amazing with utrics!!!!

an epiphitic spiecies such as reniformis or calycifida in the center for the ocassional towering orchid-like flower spikes or a slack-poted-like overhanging d. extrema
then
a mid ring of lividas for the abundant blooms
finishing with
a outer ring of sandersonii floribunda!!!

And maybe a couple of pings scattered around

you could use paper to help you divide soils,

in other words use the paper to help you pour ,let say, half barky heliamphoria like soil, then pour peat for some pings. Pull out the paper and you have a perfect soil boundry.... I dont know
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]an epiphitic spiecies such as reniformis or calycifida in the center

neither of these species are epiphytics. calycifida does wonderful in waterlogged pure peat. reniformis is just a pain
smile_n_32.gif

actually it sounds like a good pot for a mass of pings or smaller sundews like spaulata. a good sized pot like that carpeted with lots of drosera will turn heads, same with pings

I have jest one word to say, PING

I've heard pings look good in wide, shallow containers. Maybe some sundews as well.

I say pings... and Utrics! haha! (is that possible?) maybe its this lack of sleep thats getting to me! ok im going to bed now.

Defintely pings & Utrics. They like X & Y axis and don't need as much Z axis. And you can take lotsa ping leaf cuttings to start new plants.

I guess pings and utrics it is. I've become rather fond of them anyways. I will just wait for my current ones to grow and transplant them.

Good boy! Uhmmm jim scot whats all this talk about X-Y axis? I havent gotten that far in my summer school yet to rember what that is! (is z like the sadgdal plane or something like that?)

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Good boy! Uhmmm jim scot whats all this talk about X-Y axis? I havent gotten that far in my summer school yet to rember what that is! (is z like the sadgdal plane or something like that?)

He's saying that these plants don't need a lot of depth (z-axis in this case.) They're good for shallower, wider grow spaces.

strangely enough, I just started doing something similar a couple of days ago, I got a section of sphagnum, utric, and some pings and stuck it all in some media in a shallow very wide container and am hoping it'll fill in nicely.

LOL! Math is our friend! Yeah, what Est said!
biggrin.gif

dude.

Put DROSERA BURMANNII OR SESSIFOLIA. That would be the best. Imagine your whole pot covered in this::
burmannii.jpg

Matt, you've got a far better camera than what I was using!

AF002301.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 15 2006,12:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]an epiphitic spiecies such as reniformis or calycifida in the center

neither of these species are epiphytics. calycifida does wonderful in waterlogged pure peat. reniformis is just a pain
smile_n_32.gif
oops.....
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]LOL! Math is our friend! Yeah, what Est said!

Disclaimer: Be not confused. He says that what I said was correct. The statement that "Math is out friend" is not an opinion shared by this poster, nor those clients whom he represents.

laugh.gif

Back