What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100*F

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Move slowly, keep out of the sun, and don't drink alcohol.
Why then did God invent beer?

Here in Lauderdale we had our first day over 90 yesterday...91 was the high but it is supposed to cool down to 88/89 the rest of the week. Thank the Lord for that cool ocean breeze.

Ugh...hot here too. Supposed to be 100 tomorrow. And high humidity. Both of my AC units are broken soooooo...I'm gonna DIE in the house.
smile_h_32.gif
Its typically anywhere from 86-94 inside...so I expect it to be hotter than that. Sleeping won't be easy...
confused.gif

cooling off this week, supposed to be in the low 90's.

last monday when it was still 100 out after work my brother and i went out walking at my uncles looking for solifugids for an individual at Cornell who is studying them. actually 100 degrees with 14% humidity isnt bad to work in. my brother and i each took a half gallon of water along with a rifle and my collecting gear and hiked 3 miles flipping all the boards and rocks we could. we were fine and not uncomfortable in jeans and t-shirts. granted my knee wasnt happy when all was said and done but the heat wasnt affecting us.

same problem with the cold. i can take -20 pretty easy with low humidity but if the humidity is around 70% or higher, 10 above is miserable

humidity SUCKS!
smile_n_32.gif

We've only reached 100F once, in 2003, when it got to 101.3 (38.5C).

Wednesday is forecast to be 99F (37C) in London. This is exceptional for Britain, and only two years after the hottest day we've had.

BBC Weather

It only got to like 91 here in New Haven... However, it was still enough to screw up my kitchen. I came in from a Sunday off and found that the freezer's compressor had just given out. No one was available to fix it (apparently it was a popular item to go down this weekend). I shoved what I could in fridges and carried the rest home to my freezer.
An hour into service my Garde Manger hits the floor white as a ghost. Then around eight O'clock my head line cook (Chef de parte --or Chef de PARTAAAAY as I like to say) colapses as he's plating a ribeye. Garde Manger went home... line cook got his stuff together and came back.
No matter how much I stress water, water, water to these guys the free soda is too much of a temptation for them. They're working over open flames for ten hours and the temp in the kitchen is always 10 to 15 degrees more than what it is outside. That, doubled with the thick chef's coats and hats, is more than enough to send you to the floor if you've got a hangover and trying to drink soda to recover.

urggghhh!!!

The official weather station reports that we hit 104 yesterday. The thermometer on my patio said 108 (in the shade) for about 2 hours in the mid afternoon. I suppose at least its a way to test the limits of how much heat highland Nepenthes can stand. I shudder to think how the plants in full sun are feeling about this. Scary part is the forcast shows no signs of the heat letting up in the near future. Blehhhh...  is it almost winter yet?

Steve

Hey guys welcome to my world... 90s for a long time now w/ frickin 800% humidity which makes it feel like 112.

She'ssssss Baaaaaack!
smile_n_32.gif

What's with this heatwave? There's one in Europe too, apparently! ARMAGEDDON?

Oh yeah but we do get 95F + 100% humidity here half the year.
smile_n_32.gif
Even if your temps are higher at times, we still get the every-drop-of-sweat-sticks-to-you-becuz-the-air-is-saturated trophy. And running through a sprinkler doesn't work too well either.
smile_n_32.gif

Maybe...I can boast the highest temperature (to date, someone livin in Phoenix plz shoot me down)...114 F yesterday here in Pleasanton and it is suppose to be 111 F today. The weather people said this heatwave for us should be weakening later this week.....its been a scorcher!!!

Hey Blepharopsis, Where do you live?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]100*F, please kill me

Sorry, no can do. Not even if the water is off, the electricity is off, and you're old and unable, and you'd be otherwise abandoned. Sorry, I don't need Louisiana prosecutors on my back, too. >_>

Pleasanton, CA (East Bay Area Inland....). We got this High Pressure keeping things well above normal.......I think at least 2 cities had broken record highs. Anyways, its always hotter farther inland.....

Officially its 107 outside, but on my patio its 112... The forcast says that the really hot stuff will be here later in the week. Fun fun fun

Hehe...its like well over 120F (112F overall) on my patio....on top of that, AC is kinda broken, I guess I'll roast here till my neighbors find me....Oh look, a cloud!

I'd whine about the heat except it's 61°F and has been raining pretty steadily for the last hour and a half.

Back