What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vacation Pics

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Hi ya all! Just got back from a quick trip to Yellowstone National Park this week and thought I'd post a few pics of some of the highlights.

One of the things (aside from the geysers) that the park is famous for its scenic veiws.

Kepler Cascades.
127049115O467580377.jpg

This picture doesn't begin to give you an impression of the size of the cascades...or the view.

My daughter and I had a competition going to see who would spot the most wild life. She spotted this bear first.
127054820O977356577.jpg

She also saw a couple coyotes just after we entered the park but I only caught a glimpse of the second one. We did see a third one but only got a very grainy pic of it. We also saw two wolves at a pretty good distance.

We both saw this guy at the same time. He was hard to miss as he was standing on the left shoulder of the road causing a traffic jam as every body stopped to take pictures. I would never be so inconsiderate as to stop to take pictures and block traffic of course. Fortunately, my wife was driving.
127048914O579659877.jpg

She also spotted about 6 of these cut throat trout. They're about 16"/40.6cm long
127048997O690527669.jpg

I did manage to spot this guy first.
127048780O837845346.jpg

He joined his mom who was a short distance away.
127048762O695560057.jpg

Of course no trip to Yellowstone is complete without at least a few pics of geysers or such. This is the one thing about Yellowstone in which I was somewhat disappointed. There just wasn't as much geyser activity as I expected. Some of them weren't much more exciting than farting in the bath tub and just about as stinky. I took pics of Old Faithful and several other geysers, but they didn't turn out very well so I'm not going to waste space posting them. However, I did take a few pics of the springs that turned out OK. To give you and idea of how hot the water is, the temp in Yellowstone ranged in the 85°F to 89°F (29.4°C to 31.7°C). Yet steam is still visible in most of the hot springs.

Crater spring
127048924O131111212.jpg

Saphire Pool
127049475O631338160.jpg

Mud Volcano. The word "volcano" is used somewhat loosely I think.
127049474O182385316.jpg

These are created when the water in the hot spring becomes so acidic that it causes the rock and soil to break down into a slurry that is constantly stirred by the rising bubbles of steam.

I liked the colors in this one.
127049086O727188606.jpg

A geyser wanabe.
127048770O326872420.jpg

And a pic of one of the formations at Mamoth Hot Springs.
127049238O052826487.jpg

I only got to stay three days and wish I'd had a full five days (and a younger body) to spend there exploring. I'd go again just for the scenery and wildlife.

Yes, with a small bit in Montana and Idaho.

Ohhhhhhh...how beautiful! You are so lucky to have been able to see all that. The wildlife, the flowers, the rocks...I'd be in heaven.

The sapphire pool didn't load for me.
smile_h_32.gif

Thanks for posting those....if you have any more, feel free to post 'em.

believe it or not ive never been to Yellowstone though i am familiar with the area, was within 60 miles of it a few weeks ago. seeing coyotes was a big deal? they are labeled targets of oppertunity up here. most ranchers arent to happy if you see one and have easy access to a rifle and dont take a shot. with the exception of the geothermal activity, Glacier Park is far better IMHO, the scenery will make your jaw drop on the Going To The Sun Highway.

My boss just came back from Yellowstone too. If I woulds known you'd be there I coulda sent you my entire Nep collection in exchange for you introducing him to a bear or helping him get a closer look at the geysers.

Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Gr8 pictures.
You said you were disappointed.
So was I .
When I was nine years old,I saw home movies of someone's trip to Yellowstone Park and Old Faithful was fantastic.
I went a few years ago and it was on a cloudy overcast day. It had snowed the night before, up in the mountains.
I must of been on the wrong side because when old Faithful went off. It was nothing like I saw in that movie 50 years before.
I was screaming into the wind,
"I waited 50 years for this and is that all there is?"
Than for listening and keep on taking those Phantastic Photos
Lois

So you saw Yogi Bear and Wyle E. Coyote? Cool whip!

When I was in junior high, we took a trip along the perimter of New York State. Part of that trip was a visit to Niagara Falls, the American side. Unfortunately, at that time, it was closed for repairs. I referred to it as the "Niagara Trickle".

Hey, I'm done writing and my dial up connectioon is still loading!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 17 2006,10:51)]seeing coyotes was a big deal? they are labeled targets of oppertunity up here.
For some reason, at the age of 6, my daughter decided that coyotes and wolves were her favorite animals. For her the coyotes and wolves made the whole trip worthwhile. I've seen enough coyotes myself that they weren't that exciting for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ July 17 2006,8:00)]My boss just came back from Yellowstone too. If I woulds known you'd be there I coulda sent you my entire Nep collection in exchange for you introducing him to a bear or helping him get a closer look at the geysers.
Feeding the bears would get me fined, attempting to poison one would get me jailed. They also frown on people throwing trash in the geysers
smile_m_32.gif

Glad y'all like the pictures.

Back