What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dried Bag of spagnum from lowes

Hi All,

I have a question, You know thoes bag of dried un chopped up spagnum ( long theads). WEll I wet this and place around some of my plants to help with humidity. Every now and than A few sundew pop up in it. Im thinking Hum maybe because i have some around and the seed gets in it. Okay so it happens everyso often. Well I took this bowel and filled it with rain water and the spagnum and wait about 2 weeks . Nothing. I opened another bag and tried it and nothing. Okay it was the seed.
Now As i was doing it again I thought Why not try it again. i did and after a few week little tiny sprout poped up and Bingo there was tiny Sundews. Im thinking they are roundafolia. Sorry if miss spelled. But The dews. Was a bit perplexing but I don't think the seed came 40 ft to this pot from my bog. But maybe it did. What do you guys think.

JIm

i cant imagine my bowel being filled with sphagnum for 2 weeks...

i think if there are sundews in your sphagnum filled bowel you should see a doctor.

ok ok i'll be serious. yes it's very likely you have drosera seeds in your lfs since it mainly comes from canadian peat bogs and tends to be filled with crap like sticks, leaves, weeds, and seeds

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] cant imagine my bowel being filled with sphagnum for 2 weeks...

I can send you a large funnel, if you like?

Sometimes sundews and other plants (carnivorous or not) will pop up from spagnum when you least expect it. I wouldn't rule it out as a possability.

Yup, I had a sundew infestation in my old N. hamata pot from the LFS. At the time (and still) I don't own any sundews except 2 different D. binatas strains (kept in different terrariums than the N. hamata). What came up in mine looked like a D. adlae with long lanceolate leaves covered in glandular hairs and red flowers. The whole 10" net pot filled with them growing from top and out the holes in the side and then they dissappeared after a year or two as ferns took over and then some tiny white mushrooms which seemed to kill the soil. My N. hamata did real well (grew to some 3-4 feet in length with many groiwng points but then went downhill so I've got a cutting of it restarted in all new moss. My suggestion is remove those hitchiker plants (with their soil if possible) which appear now and then and pot them up on their own if you want to keep them.
If you don't remove the roots many of these pot invaders will come back. the tall grasses in LFS are the worst if allowed to grow more than a few inches.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ July 17 2006,9:21)]Yup, I had a sundew infestation in my old N. hamata pot from the LFS.
Aw... c'mon, sundew and infestation hsouldn't be used in the same sentence!  
smile_n_32.gif
Sundews are our friends.

Anyhoo, I had a Nep in a hanging basket and this little cutie appeared:

dscn0186.jpg

Another time I received a bag of live LFS from an Alaskan hobbyist and all these sundews popped up - all D. intermedia. So it IS possible that seeds were in the dried LFS.

But I wouldn't rule out stray seeds from other hobbyists, obtained in a trade. I accidently received this one, only  to see it wither and die after the 9th lead.

AF002601.jpg

Then there's the stray U. subulatas in with the pinches of other Utrics and capensis and spatulata...

I've got stray burmannii popping up in my nidiformis and anglica and I haven't a clue as to hwo they got there, since mine haven't flowered since last summer and died out in the winter.

is that what i think it is? it looks like a drosophyllum!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 18 2006,6:01)]is that what i think it is? it looks like a drosophyllum!
It was a Drosophyllum!
smile_h_32.gif
mad.gif

that's the best hitchhiker ever...

Back