What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

success..........my fish are actually rabbits

awhile back i posted pics of some bettas i picked up.well out of the 5, 2 survived. not sure why, all were seperated and conditions looked good. anyways the two left were a male and a female and placed them together after the male had gotten started on a nest and such in a 10 gal planted tank i gave him. after 2 hours of no aggession and lots of displaying i left them alone to go to work. well it was a long day and when i got home the bubble nest was much larger but the two bettas looked like they had gone 12 rounds with each other and my crowntail is no longer so pretty. these two should go on the Jerry Springer show. anyways i took the female out. this was last week sometime.

tonight when i got home from work i went to feed the fish and as im watching the male eat i notice a lil bitty thing squirm around. sure enough the tank is full of free swimming fry. so i went and double checked what im supposed to donext and removed the male and placed him in a 1/2 gal tank for the time being. so hopefully there is enough in the algea and leaf litter and such for the lil guys to eat. i chose to use a planted tank as it would give alot of areas for lil food critters to colonize, i even went so far as pulling some of the rocks, leaves and water out of one of the ponds in a frog tank to help establish microfauna in the tanks.

hopefully ill have myself some new colorful bettas in a few months. hopefully the local fish store will take the excess, there are alot of them in there

Thats awsome.
smile.gif
Can you get a pic of lil' bitty betas? I'll bet they are cute as...cute as....lil' bitty fish.

not yet, they are lil bitty things, look like lil air bubbles with tails. ill try though

The male betta, as with the other bubblenest builders, often take the fry in their mouths and spit them back into the nest. Not saying that this was his motive in this case, but that is common parental behavior. But congrats about the spawning!

I used put straw / hay in the tank to induce infusoria for the fry and then feed them newly hatched brine shrimp, from a hatchery kit.

going to collect some pond water and strain the bigger stuff out, should be able to get then going. i took the male out cause all the fry are free swimming now. didnt want him to start getting hungy for fry
smile_n_32.gif

You could also buy Baby Egglayer food at the pet shop. Yeah, I know what ya mean about fear of cannibalism. They should be okay, now, as long as they are free swimming.

babys! BABYS! aww I bet they look soo cute! They arent any thing like frogs I bet! and Nothing like live breaders!

Back