What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

freaking freezer

• Thread starter kahnli
  • Start date
Heat usually causes freezers to break down...
last week my freezer just stopped running. I called in a repairman and he replaced the fan. I came from a weekend off and the fan is running but the freezer was at 50 degrees. I lost over 50 lbs of meat and seafood. So I left the restaurant and took a tour of the town to find meat so I could open for service.
I know its the thermostat which would cause the fan to burn out because it could never reach the low temp.
I'm just venting my frustrations... I don't feel bad for the loss of money I just feel bad for the poor shrimp and steers that lost their lives for nothing.

Aww way bummer all around!

It's a pain in the rear to have to deal with, then there's the wasted time, money, and animal lives. Freezers can be a big pain in the rear. Mine ended up leaking overnight due to a loose tube and it pretty much flooded the living room, ruining the carpet in there and causing some serious havoc.

Here's to hoping things get back in order soon!

I've gotta a party of 40 coming in tomorrow and they want 40 shrimp cocktails and I have no shrimp... the shrimp won't come in until 4pm and so I've got to get it shelled and deveined in an hour.
mad.gif

not to mention the 40 spring rolls and the vegetarian special request that I have to fill.

oooh same thing here... defroster heat thingy stopped working, froze up, and i lost all freezer and fridge stuff... not at the level you did, but still a very frustrating experience...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm just venting my frustrations

Dude, did you just say "venting?"

Sorry about the inconvenience! That's a real bummer - for me, I mourn the loss of the steak.
smile_m_32.gif

What no steak and shrimp now!?

JK!

I hope you get youre freezer fixed

I suppose all you can do in that situation (with the shrimp) is just make everything else before the shrip get there. Luckily, as far as I know, the shrimp don't take part early in the creation of the dish. How did it all work out?

oh, this is great... I go in yesterday and my refrigerator's compressor is frozen. One big block of ice. No fridge and no freezer. Repair guy gets there and says "it's iced up."
no kidding.
He can't look at it until it thaws (he's coming back today).
Fish came in at 4:45 and the party was at 6:00. Made 50 lobster and mango spring rolls and shelled/deveined/cooked/chilled 200 shrimp in an hour and a half. I let my sous chef handle the service (which was just presenting the shrimp on the plate) and I went and purchased a small freezer from Home Depot. All that time spent playing tetris as a child helped out... I fit everything from my big three door freezer into a tiny household use chest freezer. The fridge I was able to  pack ice in salt and keep the temp down.
You gotta love it.

Funny, thing is half way through this mess I got a phone call from another restaurant offering me an executive chef position.
confused.gif
What timing... I'm angry and fed up then I'm offered a new job.

Could be a message?

smile_k_ani_32.gif
man... that has got to suck. What are you going to do?

I suspect foul play! It was the other restaurant that sabotaged your fridge/freezer! They wanted to see how you work under stress. Looks like you passed the test. lol

Congrats for having survived such a stressful day.

"expect a change for the better in job or status in the future." the furtune cookie a coworker gave me today.
smile_n_32.gif

Freezers fixed... Fridge is fixed... Whooopeee!!!
I spoke with the person who offered me the excutive chef position (I was a regular at a bar he used to own) he offered me a decent chunk of change and a commission on each plate. he's shooting to open in two weeks... SO I need to hire a kitchen staff, create a menu, order everything and work out kinks. I was the opening chef at the place I'm at know and it runs like a well oiled machine. If I factor it to an hourly wage I'm making more now. I'll have to pull 65 hours a week to get this new place running. Whereas, I make a good living now and I have three nights off and I get out by 9 on Saturday (which is almost unheard of for a chef).
I gonna go and take a gander at the new place and see what he has to offer as far as space and what he's looking for in a menu. I really need to see what he wants as far as food. I have a very diverse menu now and would not want to cook barfood.
we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Allow me to note a disturbing similarity between our lives: The morning after my dad left for a job interview, the freezer/fridge died. Luckily it decided to set itself back on an hour or so later.
confused.gif

Good luck to both you and my dad in your respective job interviews!

Maybe you'll get a chance to push a gluten free menu if you go to work at the new place!

Back