What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone into birds?

• Thread starter jojo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    baby
I have a blue and gold macaw.. and an african grey some finches, a chicken. I guess you could say i like birds... anyone else have any warmblooded animals...ha... seems like CP's and reptiles go hand in hand...

I've been trying to identify birds of prey, took a few pics of a hawk or a falcon baby the other day. pics of them on blog link attached. could it be a perrigrine falcon? i wish.. but i think it might just be a baby hawk. coopers or red shouldered....and there are two of them...
http://jojosfarmlife.blogspot.com/2006/07/i-see-you.html

And found an awesome site that helps you identify what you saw...
www.whatbird.com

Such a good place to see pictures...

I love birds - I am currently slave to a green-cheeked conure named Clover. My husband tolerates them, so I couldn't really get bigger ones though I would like to. ;)

I have a bird feeder out in my backyard, and it draws Chickadees, Sparrows, Finches, Robins, and an occasional hummingbird, who can't figure out the hummingbird feeder from the seed one - so that's fun to watch.

Thanks for the interesting website link.

Prizmbatch is another one. Does it count that I took care of birds, to some degree, at a tropical fish wholesaler, in a former life?
biggrin.gif
We had this African Grey.....

LOL.. yep it counts scott... af. greys are so smart... and handling one of them puts you in the know, category...

vft.. i am ordering a hummingbird feeder soon. that is the only ones i don't find much out here.

But once the birds of prey showed up, i lost sight of all the other birds. i have woodpeckers, finches, sparrows, bluejays, cardinals, etc.. but they all disappeared as of last weeks sighting of the hawk...

I notice that people on these kinds of forums, veer towards a certain hobby, ie. reptiles or birds, dogs, etc. but never find anyone as crazy as me with almost one of everything.... grin...

The only pet I've never had is a cat. Not sure why, but everytime a decision is needed on getting a four-legged pet I always decide on dogs.

jojo: You are so lucky to have such a variety of bird visitors.

Hey jojo, I also have a blue and gold macaw. It's still in the process of being weaned so I haven't been able to bring him home yet. In another week or two I should be able to bring my baby home. Have you taught your birds any tricks? My baby macaw knows how to kiss me
biggrin.gif
. I think the next bird I get will probably be a quaker. That way, I'll burn a smaller hole in my wallet. The lady who bred my blue and gold has a large collection of parrots. Her most impressive is probably her Hyacinth macaw.

Maybe terraforums will add a bird section to this forum like they did with the reptiles, amphibians and fish.

jojo, do you have any pictures that you can post of your birds?

chris

ha... do i haaaave pictures... thats all i ever do is take pictures of my animals... below are a couple blog links to my fids..
one is the story how my afr. grey flew away and got him back. There are a few fun ones of my mac... just click on the photo to make it bigger.

He is 5 and starting to mature. so i am in for a new phase of life with him. and since i am his only caretaker its much simpler. No tricks. It took me a year just to get him to step up without drawing blood. when i got him he was 3 and came from a pretty good family. lady was dieing of cancer and the most important thing was to find a perfect home for him...With all the things going on in her life that was paramount. they were old school and he is taught that way. HE NEVER leaves his perch. He has never touched the floor. not that i don't try. He never flaps his wings or even realizes what to do with them. He stays where you put him... He doesn't talk. But he mimics everything. You are in for one fun ride. learn the basics (have you had birds before?). and just treat him like a family member. at that age they are wonderful. My age poses a bit of a challenge. I keep telling him i am his mom, not his girlfriend... grin. If you ever have any questions give me a shout. AND there is a parrotalk.com forum just like this one i belong to. and there are a lot of die hard rescuers on there, so don't get dismayed if they are abrubt on certain things... but good place to learn.

http://jojosfarmlife.blogspot.com/2006/02/fids-feathered-kids.html

http://jojosfarmlife.blogspot.com/2006....in.html

http://jojosfarmlife.blogspot.com/2006....on.html

Back