What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LFS

• Thread starter FarmerDave
  • Start date
I'm still a little confused, what is LFS?

Thanks!!

Long Fibre Sphagnum. AKA Orchid moss or dried Sphagnum moss

Since you mentioned orchid moss, I've seen "green moss" for sale. Is that ok to use for CPs?

NO green moss. Green moss is sheet moss and it has usually been treated with something that keeps it that green colour. While that product does not tend to be damaging to orchids it can be toxic to CPs

Thanks for the clarification Pyro ;) I was suspicious of green moss too, but just wanted to confirm.

Yeah, some nurseries sell Green Moss as LFS......

There is something that is referred to as decorative moss in plastic bags that I've read being toxic to CP's.

Fresh green LFS looks like lots of little stars. Most of it is brown, which is the moss very slowly decomposing into peat. On top is the fresh green stuff.

The whole lot should be sodden, not dry like other mosses.

Some "orchid moss" you see sold is dried Spanish moss (actually a tillansia). Make sure to read labels...it needs to say "Long-fiber Sphagnum Moss". "Decorative" is usually a giveaway its not gonna be good for CPs.

Here's the dried LFS, after it has been in use for a few months:

AF002101.jpg

Back