What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

we may have 3 planets added to out solar system

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I saw that. That's really interesting. I still think they need to rename Uranus.
confused.gif

This is taxonomy of the stars.'

Same way we've had folks down here going "No, it's NOT a crysanthumum, it's 14 different sub-genera with impossible names!" we've got folks looking upwards and doing the same.

Lumpers want us to think there's 3 planets. Splitters want us to think there's 27. And people wanna just make Uranus jokes.

Been following this topic for quiiiiite a while now; it all starts with Pluto "If Pluto is a planet then MY planet should be a planet" or "Pluto isn't a planet, so your rock shouldn't be, either."

I don't understand what's the big deal with calling some of these things planets. Would 53 planets in our system be such a terrible problem? It's not like just because they're planets you have to worry about every single one of them. And I don't like the way that the article above makes it out as, "Anything that's round is a planet! This meteor is a planet! This cantaloupe is a planet! This balled-up pair of socks is a planet!" I think that a body's own gravity being sufficient to give it a roughly spherical shape is an excellent criterion; simple, sensible, and testable. I also don't understand the objection to distinguishing between 'double planets' and satellites. Certainly, a satellite is not a planet, and a body is not a satellite if it's not revolving around a planet, so shouldn't it be that bodies orbiting an empty point revolving around a star are planets? Unless you want to accept an empty point as a planet, I don't see any other logical choice.
The one thing I really hate about science is these symantic debates. I'm beginning to prefer the arts, where the distribution of belligerence and criticism is more uniform.
~Joe

I would prefer 2003 UB313 over Xena.
smile.gif

images

i say , and i stand by this, we name is planey zoot.

Fortunately, most scientists don't get into the name game.  Most geologists, to speak of the science I know best, study how things happen and don't get obsessed about what the end result is called.  I've often heard Pluto is a planetoid or whatever the word is, but don't care one way or the other.

As for semantics, I consider all Sarracenias to be one species since their ranges overlap and they so readily interbreed.  But I definitely lean towards the lumper, not the splitter end of the spectrum.

lol, i don't think most people agree with there being one species of sarracenia.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 16 2006,10:38)]...I still think they need to rename Uranus.
confused.gif
Would it still be mine if it was named somebody else?

Quote (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 16 2006,10:38)
...I still think they need to rename Uranus.
confused.gif

Would it still be mine if it was named somebody else?

LOL!! LOL!!!
smile_n_32.gif

I heard that there has been sightings of Kligons arround Uranus.

So you think some lye soap and flea powder for my next bath would get rid of them?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Aug. 16 2006,1:59)]Would 53 planets in our system be such a terrible problem?
Only if you were asked to name them all on a test.
smile_n_32.gif

LOL Steve. Well I have heard some people name other body parts...
smile_l_32.gif
....but if you want to rename Uranus, be my guest. Just don't call it late for dinner.

laugh.gif

I think I'll name it George Bush. They're both full of the same thing
smile_m_32.gif
. Just hope the Klingons don't cause a rash..

well I dont think Bush is coverd in gas... he might be full of it... Im sure you dont have to worry about the klingons to much, I hear they lower blood pressure. I think Bush announced that.

Back