What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I made it home for a couple of days

So I made it down to see my parents in Virginia this week... Beautiful as always. Rolling hills, nice people, close family, and great food (as opposed to this crap in the north).
I grew up in the shenadoah valley a little town named Luray (about 30 minutes away from Standardsville -I'm sure most people on the forums are fimilar with).
I fell off my gluten free diet hardcore... Bisquits, gravy, yeast rolls, breaded catfish. I feel like doodoo but it was welll worth it.
I think I'm gonna head back there next summer permantly.

That's great.  My parents have moved so much since I left (and before too) that I don't know where I'd be heading if I went home for a week.  But what do you mean about the food being crap up here?

Whenever my wife & I talk about leaving CT, it's the good, cheap food we know we'll miss.  Of course we'd also lose it if we moved a few miles out into the suburbs.  Diners/grills/cafes are everywhere and almost always good, but the neighborhoods around us are full of cheap Italian, Jamaican, Latino and Asian restaurants.  Even though we only eat out once or twice per week, it's nice to have them around and we miss them when we visit family or friends elsewhere.

One thing we're short of is Mexican restaurants, which is a serious deficiency in my opinion.  There are more now than even a few years ago, but most of the new ones aim either for huge platter of food and margarita crowd or the yuppies drinking expensive tequila shots crowd.  I prefer a plate of good enchiladas and a bottle or two of Negra Modelo.  Luckily, that's what one nearby restaurant has.  But there should be many more.

If I hadn't gone vegetarian, I'd be wishing for restaurants with plain old Southern and Cajun food.  The ones I've been to here seem to serve up more cliches than food.  The food at little grocery store restaurants in Mississippi and any random bar in New Orleans is much better and those places don't pretend to be anything they're not.  But my wife heard a nearby restaurant has a vegetarian muffuletta and I'm working up the nerve to go try it.

Ahhh...beautiful Luray! Home of the spectacular Luray caverns and the namesake of one of the depression-era dinnerware patterns I collect (LuRay Pastels manufactured by Taylor Smith & Taylor in the 1920s-50s). It was up around Luray that I was in the most terrifying fog I've ever been in. I was waiting for the car to go off the edge of the mountain any minute. You couldn't see 2 inches in front of the car.
confused.gif

Yep...you need to come back to Virginia! Did you happen to have any country ham in that biscuit?
smile.gif

I think everyone on the forum should move to Virginia.
biggrin.gif

I'm glad you had a nice time (except for the gluten payback). "Carry me back to ol' Virginny..."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Aug. 16 2006,4:23)] But what do you mean about the food being crap up here?

Oh lord there's nothing but Italian around here. I like italian but really how much red sauce can one person eat. Fried calamari (oops calamar) with red sauce... baked ziti with red sauce. And how many pizza places does one town need anyway?
There is a shortage of mexican (we have a few places where I can grab a Negro modello but not many).
Oh and don't get me started with this crazy lobster roll fetish everybody has around here.  
smile_n_32.gif

I mean, I can't say much I am a chef here. I do my best to bring some flare --I serve my calamari with banana ketchup.

"vegetarian muffuletta"
isn't that an oxymoron?  
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 16 2006,4:52)] "Carry me back to ol' Virginny..."
I'll be singing the entire way.
I'm shooting to be back in a year. I'll await the welcome wagon, PAK.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and great food (as opposed to this crap in the north).

Oh man I agree with you. I spent 6 1/2 years in the north. I know too well the lack of good food.

I think you should move to Richmond. There are a TON of restaurants here. And its not far from Luray...and the beach is close. There is the Botanical Gardens... What's not to love??
smile.gif

(One of these days I'm gonna get another CPer into Richmond... hehe)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kahnli @ Aug. 16 2006,3:35)]So I made it down to see my parents in Virginia this week... Beautiful as always. Rolling hills, nice people, close family, and great food (as opposed to this crap in the north).
I grew up in the shenadoah valley a little town named Luray (about 30 minutes away from Standardsville -I'm sure most people on the forums are fimilar with).
I fell off my gluten free diet hardcore... Bisquits, gravy, yeast rolls, breaded catfish. I feel like doodoo but it was welll worth it.
I think I'm gonna head back there next summer permantly.
this is sort of off topic, but what the heck do you eat on a gluten-free diet and where do you buy it?

my daughter is allergic to wheat and it sucks, to say the least.

actually I've found you have a lot of options... Rice pasta instead of wheat pasta (I actually like the rice better) and at first it feels like you're on the atkins diet but you find some starchy things to eat. Giving up beer has been the hardest.

Health food stores is your best bet to find some gluten free items. There are a few local ones around here but there are some larger chains that sell hippie food such as "Whole Foods" and "Wild Oats"
I found these gluten and dairy free cookies the other day that were fierce. Ate the whole box.

Back