What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BACPS Plant Show and Sale - SATURDAY August 26th

Hey all,

Just wanted to mention that the next BACPS Annual Show & Sale is coming up real quick now. It's going to be Saturday, August 26th at the Lake Merritt Garden Center in Oakland, CA.

It's going to be great! Dominic Diaz  is running the show this year and he has done a great job of making some real improvements. It looks like a good vendor turnout and we are going to have some special guests that are bringing some special plants!

Hope you all can make it. Be sure to bring plants to enter in the show for judging, or just for display. We are trying to educate the public about these plants and we need to show them some great specimens AND a lot of variety.

Check the web site's bulletin: www.bacps.org/2006August
And the show specifics: www.bacps.org/show.html

I hope we can see you all there. Who is going to make it?

Stephen Davis
www.bacps.org
www.carnivorousplants.homestead.com (or [url]www.eaglesroost.net)[/url]

Thank you Stephen for the post!

The Show and Sale is always a fun event to meet new CP enthusiasts, pick up a few new plants (from any of a number of great vendors or RAFFLE), and of course see GREAT plants! This year will mark the BACPS's Fifth Show and promises to please everyone from the most novice of growers to long-time aficionados. If you have a well-grown plant that you are proud of, bring it! If you want to see well-grown plants, join us! Don't be intimidated by the competition either. We have a display table as well that serves to help educate the public on our fascinating obsession with growing carnivorous plants.

Another thing I will throw out there that may peak your interests- We will have CP royalty in attendance: An author of a wildly popular CP book and owner of a carnivorous plant nursery, a soon-to-be published CP book author and extensive conservationalist, the co-founder of the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter, and many more!!!

As Stephen pointed out, information regarding the show is available at the links in the previous post. Those wanting to enter plants will find links regarding entry guidelines and directions to the venue. Anyone willing to volunteer is also welcome. You may contact me at KingDom079@aol.com.

Don't let this opportunity slip by to meet some new people, make some new friends, and walk away with some new plants! Everyone in attendance will receive a free raffle ticket! We look forward to seeing you there!

I hope to make it, but I really can'y say if I'll be able to.

Wish me luck in convincing my parents in to it. :;
smile.gif

Woohoo! I'll be there, and I'm bringing plants to trade, display, enter for judging, etc. Can't wait to see everything!!

Capslock

By the way BACPS members, and anyone else that wants to help, I've been going around the area dropping off flyers ([url]http://www.bacps.org/flyer2006.pdf)[/url] for the last week and a half at nurseries, pet stores, and anywhere else that I thought there might be an interest. Today I dropped one off at this local reptile shop. Talk about hitting the market square on! The owner is in the middle of a move and desperately wants to go. He might even go in spite of his move that day. All his employees were begging for time off and the customers that were in there got all excited and will be there. I spent nearly 20 minutes in there before I could drag myself out. Plus, we got at least 5 more attendees in just that 20 minutes PLUS he wants to grow some CP outside and in the shop!

It's also in all the pet shops and a huge aquarium store in the area.

There is good news on the vendor front for the show. We are only missing one vendor we have had in the past, and are expecting more tables being taken up than ever before. It should be a good show.

This is going to be our first multi-media show, and we shall see how that works out.

We have had more people visit our site looking for information than ever before too. So we are expecting a good turn out. (Ignore the counter on the page, it was reset when we made a bunch of changes on Monday or Tuesday)

At any rate, we are looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Stephe Davis

Oooohhh, the show is all I've been thinking about. I'm preparing a bunch of plants to show, sell, trade and donate. I can't wait!!!

Capslock

The Plant Show and Sale is TOMORROW! There are rumors Barry may bring in his two-headed VFT in for display. You DO NOT want to miss this one. See everyone there tomorrow!

Dominic

Hey Capslock, have you reserved the space. We are almost full! email me if you haven't

Stephen Davis
www.bacps.org

The plant show was a blast. Its always good to see old friends and meet other forum members. I managed to get out of there with most of my wallet intact although it wasn't for lack of tempting treats (I did drop a few bucks on some new VFTs)

I'm looking forward to the next one.. hopefully by then I will have some plants worthy of display.

Cheers
Steve

I agree, the plant sale was gr8 fun.
Steve, sorry that I missed meeting you.
You may have seen me, the one wearing the raccoon hat.
Thanx to all you members of the forum who stopped by and said hello.

Oh yes.. I remember you. I was hanging out with Capslock right by your table almost all afternoon lol. I was wearing the black 107.7 "The Bone" t-shirt.
biggrin.gif

Just a few photos to wet the appetite. BACPS Show 2006 Photo Album

We had 98 plants entered this year and it was the best turn out ever. Every year is better, and we had to kick people out at the end this year. Traffic was steady all day long, which means we got a lot of people from the public.

There were lots of kids and they loved the VFT feeding.

We had presentations for the first time and we learned a thing or two. Next year will be much better. We also showed videos, including one of Homer Simpson in a fight with a VFT, and some fun skits that my daughter, wife and I did.

We had wall to wall vendors. We could not have had a single one more and we may have outgrown the current location. There were very few openings for more plant entries either.

Thanks to everyone for their support.

More to come in our newsletters. Please sign up for them if you haven't alread.

Stephen Davis
www.carnivorousplants.homestead.com

People at the show and Vendors
3791279_1024.ts1156713982139.jpg

Geoff Wong, Best of Show
3791280_348.ts1156713984136.jpg

Close up of the winning plant
3791282_1024.ts1156713986319.jpg

Another impressive Geoff Wong Plant

3791284_348.ts1156713988524.jpg

Back