What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scientology, sensitive topic.

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
hi everyone, i found this link The Un-Funny Truth about Scientology

and was wondering what everyone thought about Scientology. I read the forum rules and i think this topic is ok. What do you think? cult or religion? I like to embrace everyone's religion, but this does seem to be an interesting topic indeed, especially considering L. Ron hubbard was a science fiction writer, and the religion is about an evil space lord named Xenu, alien spirits infecting our minds after being nuked in a volcano, and a sense of "evil" about all drugs.

lets please stay very civil and respect everyone's beliefs, even if they do believe the mother ship is coming
smile.gif

Personally I think its a load of BS. But, then again I think all religion is BS. Scientology is just the funniest of them all.

Now before I get flames hurrled my way whatever religion you belive in is your business. I'm just stating my opinion on the matter. Not everyone is like you.

just wondering...what exactly is Scientology?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Aug. 21 2006,9:37)]Personally I think its a load of BS. But, then again I think all religion is BS. Scientology is just the funniest of them all.

Now before I get flames hurrled my way whatever religion you belive in is your business. I'm just stating my opinion on the matter. Not everyone is like you.
right hes just stating his opinion. im a catholic but i can accept that people believe what they want to believe.
Alex

it's a religion that basically says that a long time ago an evil space lord named Xenu sent a bunch of aliens to die and he nuked them in a volcano. their souls survived and they were brainwashed to believe in religion. now they inhabit out bodies and they cause bad emotions, bad health, etc. the only way to get rid of the aliens, is to not take drugs, including aspirin, follow scientology, etc. people are immortal, and are called Thetans.

from wikipedia:

Some central beliefs of Scientology:

* A person is an immortal spiritual being (termed a thetan) who possesses a mind and a body.
* Through the Scientology process of "auditing", one can free oneself of "engrams" and "implants" to reach the state of "Clear", and after that, the state of "Operating Thetan". Each state is said to represent recovering the native spiritual abilities of the individual, and to confer dramatic mental and physical benefits.
* The thetan has lived through many past lives and will continue to live beyond the death of the body.
* A person is basically good, but becomes "aberrated" by moments of pain and unconsciousness in his or her life.
* What is true for you is what you have observed yourself. No beliefs should be forced as "true" on anyone. Thus, the tenets of Scientology are expected to be tested and seen to either be true or not by Scientology practitioners.
* Psychiatry and psychology are evil and abusive. [10]
* Humans retain many emotional problems caused by early stages of evolution (see Scientology History of Man).

the entire, huge article can be found here, at Wikipedia

I love YTMND. That's one example of an incredible art form. Scientology is a scam.

~ Brett

Beware of belief systems that claim to bring you levels of enlightenment that their founders never reached.

confused.gif

how can any one beleive this? Its like a cartoon!

I just want to know what kind of good drugs were slipped into there comunal wine or water?  Because granted I think there are other beings in the universe this is a little far fetched.  I knwo we do not know everything about the universe, but dang.  I find this hard to believe, and there isn;t even a consensise omont their member.  
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]* What is true for you is what you have observed yourself. No beliefs should be forced as "true" on anyone. Thus, the tenets of Scientology are expected to be tested and seen to either be true or not by Scientology practitioners.
 Think about it.

I am not religious either, but I have alot of friends that are. I hope I don;t offend any scientologists, but this is BS in my book too.

Psssst the aliens are coming. Lets all run and hide.

Scientology is not a religion. It is a bad scifi novel.

I think all religions are cults and only exist to serve their own high priests at the detriment of all others. "God" is one thing religions are something else entirely.

As far as Scientology specifically goes, it's often prompted as an alternative to psychology and proper mental health care. This is dangerous (more so than just being a religion) and can cause the person great harm if they are experiencing extreme psychotic episodes and believe that some alien ghost will help them and ignore proper medical care and treatment.

In my youth we hada great record shop downtown Minneapolis which was unfortunately net door to a Scientology place. They were always outside trying to get us to come in and listen to their BS. I'd no sooner get an "audit" by the Scientologists than go and get baptised, have a barmitzvah or celebrate ramadan. I'm not into any of it.

I can't cotton too much to any "religion" that believes in "silent birth". I'm quite sure it was a man who came up with THAT rule. Try pushing a watermelon out your nose and see if you can do it silently. :eyeroll:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SpyCspider @ Aug. 22 2006,12:35)]Scientology...EXPOSED

best explanation...EVER
biggrin.gif
LOL I saw that episode!! I was laughing so hard I couldnt breath. That was one of the funniest South Park episodes I've ever seen. I liked how they tricked Cyle into thinking he was depressed to get him to join.

And the "Trapped in the closet" part was hilarious!

lmao, i saw that too on tv. how come i don't get sound on youtube?

"tom cruze wont come out of the closet!"

... my volume was off...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I can't cotton too much to any "religion" that believes in "silent birth". I'm quite sure it was a man who came up with THAT rule. Try pushing a watermelon out your nose and see if you can do it silently. :eyeroll:

i got a laugh out of that. my wife said she would go for it but she would need to have a firm grip of my..................um.........you get the idea, i informed her there is no way i would be silent during the process, atleast until i blacked out
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

i find scientology entertaining at most. iz not to big on organized religion period though

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 22 2006,8:36)]I can't cotton too much to any "religion" that believes in "silent birth".  I'm quite sure it was a man who came up with THAT rule.  Try pushing a watermelon out your nose and see if you can do it silently. :eyeroll:
LOL! Suzanne, take a look at the audience - young, male, mostly unmarried...

Must have been quite an epidural!

lol, i was expecting "oh i respect their beliefs etc etc" lmao, not "bunch of crap!" lmao!

I had one of their "audits" way back when I was a young kid in my early twenties. They attempted to use hypnosis on me to get me to relax for the "audit". While I'll admit to being naive, innocent, etc back then, one thing I wasn't was stupid. I recognized their "relaxation" technigue and wasn't very cooperative. If I wanted psychoanalyzed, I'd have it done by a professional who is recognized in his field. I have avoided them like the plaque they are ever since. How a man as intelligent as L. Ron Hubbard was could creat such a mockery as Scientology is beyond me

Back