What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

APHIS & ePermit

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
In yesterday's mail was a package from England, a legally shipped batch of small lots of seeds. All I had to do was go through the USDA and an APHIS ruling and apply for an ePermit. Now to get those seeds in the fridge!

I thought an import permit was not necessary for seeds?

Have others ordered seeds from overseas w/o permits?

Ok, enough of the boring stuff.... what kind of seeds and where did you buy from!
Peter.
smile_n_32.gif

Way to go jimscott !!! Wooo Hooo. Does this mean that other countries can send us seed without having to pay that crazy bill for a phytosanitary certificate ?

Were they held up in customs long ?

EEE exporters should now be able to work much easier with the general pulic of the US now right ??

No worries about Men in Black and seeds getting confiscated ?

Somehow I knew you'd be the first congratulations !

To answer pingmans question, yes a permit is needed for everything. I'm not making any judgement calls on how the rest of the world "used" to get their seed. But since this method is in place and there is basically no effort too it we should utilize it in order to show the need for it.

Take a look at the ICPS site for "donating" seed. Even those guys have to comply. This merely closes a loophole for unknown pest imports by allowing something that goes on anyway to be more "controlled".

I'm sure there will be more detailed info to follow in the coming days.

Atta boy jimscott !!!

Thanks, Chris!

Here's a copy of the permit, although for some reason parts of it were cut off in the online version of it. The hardcopy is complete. According to Carolyn Fitzgerald, who helped me on page 3 of the application with the wording, there is this general phrase about various participating countries.

PPQ 587 Permit to Import Plants and Plant Products
Application Number P587-060725-001

Subject: Applicant Review Conditions for Permit Q.37
Date: 07/28/06 7:18 AM
Message: 1. This permit authorizes small lots of seed, only of taxa that are generally admissible under current 7 CFR 319.37 regulations, to be imported without a phytosanitary certificate, under all of the following conditions.

2. Seed shipments must be accompanied by a

3. A copy of this permit shall accompany each shipment.

4. Seed shipments must enter the United States through a USDA Plant Inspection Station.

5. The seeds must be securely packaged in packets or envelopes and sealed to prevent spillage. Clear plastic re-sealable bags are highly recommended.

6. Labeling: A typed or legibly printed seed list/invoice must accompany each shipment with the name of the collector/shipper, the botanical names (at least to genus, preferably to species level) listed alphabetically, as well as the country of origin, and country shipped from, for each taxon. Each seed packet must be clearly labeled with the name of the collector/shipper, the country of origin, and the scientific name at least to the genus, and preferably to the species, level. The invoice/seed list may provide a code for each lot, which may be used on the seed packets in lieu of the full list of required information. In this case, each packet must at least include the appropriate code referenced to the seed list/invoice, and the botanical name used on the seed list/invoice.

7. Each packet must be limited to a maximum of 50 seeds of 1 taxon (taxonomic category such as genus, species, cultivar, etc.) per packet; or a maximum weight not to exceed 10 grams of seed of 1 taxon, per packet.

8. Each shipment must contain no more than 50 seed packets.

9. The seeds must be free from pesticides.

10. The shipment must be free from soil, plant material other than seed, other foreign matter or debris, seeds in the fruit or seed pod, and living organisms such as parasitic plants, pathogens, insects, snails, and mites.

11. USDA, APHIS, PPQ has the option, based on its inspection, to destroy or seize individual seed packets or the contents of shipments. This will be done if inspection station personnel find that the imported seeds require treatment, are contaminated with a quarantine plant pest or pests, are labeled improperly, are commingled with other seeds (i.e. not separated from other seeds), are over the weight/count limit, or if the paperwork is incomplete or missing. Noncompliant seed will not be returned to origin or treated.

12. The following lists or categories of seeds may not be shipped under this permit: (a) Federal noxious weed seeds, see http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/weeds/ (b) Parasitic plant seeds, see http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/permits/weeds/parasitic.htm © Seeds prohibited or restricted by special conditions in 7CFR319 regulations. (See

13. Seeds regulated by CITES and/or the Endangered Species Act require additional permits. See http://www.cites.org/eng/app/index.shtml and http://endangered.fws.gov/esa.html

14. Non Canadian-origin seeds regulated by the Federal Seed Act require additional labeling on the invoice and seed packets. Agricultural and vegetable seed requires lot designation and the designation

15. Under the Plant Protection Act, individuals or corporations who fail to comply with these conditions and authorizations, or who forge, counterfeit, or deface permits or shipping labels may receive civil or criminal penalties, and may have all current permits cancelled and future permit applications denied.

REQUESTED PLANT AND PLANT PRODUCTS
Article Name Country/Countries of Origin Plant Parts Intended Use
Small lots of seeds program Various eligible countries Seed Propagation

Authorization Statement
This permit authorizes the importation of the listed articles, under the conditions specified below. A copy of this permit (including all conditions) must accompany all shipments authorized under this permit. Upon arrival in the United States, the articles and shipping container(s) are subject to inspection by officials of Customs and Border Protection, Agriculture Inspection (CBP-AI) and Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ). The inspectors will release the shipment if it is free of exotic pests, noxious weeds, soil and other prohibited matter.

PPQ587-0037

Home | Create Application | My Applications | My Permits/Responses | My Messages | Advanced Search | My Profile | Technical Support

It took ~ a week and a half from mailing to receipt. I think the paddleboat across "The Pond" was the longest leg of the journey!  
smile_m_32.gif

speaking of permits and stuff...does ordering from Wistuba Nurseries requer a permit? he has people here but what does that do?
Alex

The one time I got seeds from overseas the box was labeled "Hobby beads". I thought that was weird b/c I had no idea that I needed some kind of permit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Aug. 26 2006,12:06)]The one time I got seeds from overseas the box was labeled "Hobby beads".  I thought that was weird b/c I had no idea that I needed some kind of permit.
LOL! Obviously, a little illegal activity going on. But hey, it doesn't have to be that way anymore. I got mine legitimately.

Back