What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The long streak has come to an end

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
As much as I catch snakes in the wild and as vicisios as my dear pet snake Lucy is, I have never been bit. That is until today. Today I was bitten about 10 times.

I was mowing grass. I see a snake almost everytime I mow grass. I ran over a pine woods snake and killed it, and I have caught a glass lizard. I have seen others crawl into the woods before I could get to them. Today, one jumped right out in front of me. Of course the first thing I did was go after it. I was tring to identfyit but I couldn't see the pattern because it was moving so fast. It crawled into the road and I cornered it. I saw it wasn't a venomous snake, but I was stillunsure what kind it was. It was a baby and babies are very hard to tell apart.I reached for it and without hesitation it struck at me. Most snake will give a bluff strike first, but not this one. I could tell that he was going to bite if he got a chance. So I thought to myself, if getting bit is the only way to catch him then so be it. I grabbed him and he grabbed me with his teeth. He let go, looked at me and then bit me again. I walked into my house, and got my camera.I sat in a chair while I held him for a while. Every once in a while he would just reach out and bite. I went back outside and put him in my A.konjac and took these pics.

142507734O985473730.jpg

142507738O630252605.jpg

142507794O426188741.jpg

142507780O937694565.jpg

142507786O899720415.jpg

142507849O854016793.jpg

142507841O998294308.jpg

142507892O019404773.jpg

142507911O884156266.jpg

142507928O812772533.jpg

142507930O065676653.jpg

142507970O897552014.jpg

I also have a movie of him striking at me, if you want to see it let me know.

Oh yeah, I forgot top add that I'm 90% sure that this is a black racer.

Nice photos. I love snakes! I save them from dogs, mowers and frightened neighbors. They are a wonderful addtion to my bog.

Definitely a black racer, cute little fella!

ozzy youre so awsome, youre like a cowboy or something... freaking sweet!

bullwhip.gif

Ozzy you're just like me
smile.gif
You see a snake, you go after it
biggrin.gif
I always go after a snake if I or someone else sees one. 2 summers ago I caught a western diamondback, showed everybody, and released it. There isn't a snake, lizard or scorpion that is safe from me
smile_m_32.gif

piss poor fiesty attitude, strikes first, asks questions later, colubrid in the US? definatly a racer. evil tempered lil buggers. i quit catching them when i see them, got tired of being bit. the adults are just as nasty

Cool, he was climbing on your A. konjac!

Sweet catch, Ozzy! Good thing it was only a baby - 10 bites? Yow.

Lol, did it hurt?

That snake is cool looking. Has pretty coloring, can't believe it was so evil for such a small snake. And a baby at that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Aug. 28 2006,11:18)]Lol, did it hurt?

That snake is cool looking. Has pretty coloring, can't believe it was so evil for such a small snake. And a baby at that.
lol, North American racers are notoriously bad tempered. they generally make poor pets as they are quite nervious.

actually for me baby bullsnakes are just as bitey. the adults however are quite easy to handle and generally calm even when first caught.

What a lil' bitty snake you have.
laugh.gif
If you hadn't put your thumb in the pic...maybe you could have passed it off as a lot bigger.

It has really BIG eyes. (O) (O) Anyone know if they born with the same size eyes as an adult?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Lol, did it hurt?

Not really, It have very sharp teeth, but not enough power in his jaws to really sink them in deep.

Baby snakes in general seem to be a little more defensive. In the video, you can see that he not only strikes at me but he actually came after me.

Black racers, coach whips and most water snakes, are very defensive even as adults. Other snakes seem to mellow out with age.

you didn't hurt it, did you ozzy?

man, who the heck keeps pursuing a snake- even after being bitten? you are one strange booger. i just stay away in general- mainly because i'm no snake expert.

Of course I didn't hurt it.

Back