What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BACPS meeting recap.

The BACPS show this Saturday was a big success! The turnout was big, there were lots of vendors, and I met a lot of forum folk.

Here are some pics! This is Hortus Botanicus' table as they were setting up. Robert brought all kinds of cool plants, and I scored from them a N. ampullaria 'tricolor' and a N. tentaculata.
7b57131a.jpg

Here's Forbes Conrad setting up his huge table of goodies. Forbes is about as nice a guy as there is.:
53c0fb3f.jpg

California Carnivores was well represented by Peter D'Amato and his nice plants. Got a truncata highland from him!
55da7753.jpg

Here's another vendor, forgot the name, who had a nice assortment of non-cps to go with their cps:
a260da2d.jpg

And here's the crowd starting to arrive. That's our own Killerplantsguy's head up front, and it was great to finally meet him!:
484aeddf.jpg

On to the display area! First the droseras:
ac373a69.jpg

Here are some great sarracenia:
8400b418.jpg

And here are the cephalotus. I brought my huge one for display:
a5b1582e.jpg

Check out this huge heliamphora:
e1189eff.jpg

more following...

Here are the nepenthes:
d8980371.jpg

f6407a98.jpg

Check out Geoff Wong's jaw-dropping N. veitchii display. This guy can grow!:
a60fa445.jpg

Peter D'Amato brought his namesake cultivar of N. lowii x ventricosa:
de543212.jpg

There were CP dignitaries too. Here is Stephen Davis, President of BACPS. Next to him is (is this right?) Jim Hutchins. Sorry if I spelled that wrong. Then Judith Finn and Barry Rice, all of whom are nice people:
d11e6b3c.jpg

In another forum, Robin (rlhirst) said he'd bring some N. macrophylla among other plants. What he didn't mention was that he was bringing some N. MACROphylla!!! (one of which I brought home, of course!)
43ec386f.jpg

c4ae94de.jpg

And here's my drive home over the Bay Bridge back to our comfortable fog bank. A great day, and it was good to talk to all the cp friends out there! Among others, I saw Lois, Steve (VFT guy in San Jose), Jeff (huy172 or something), Arthur (Emesis), Paul (KPG), Forbes, Robin (rlhirst), and more!
66a3c97f.jpg

Capslock

on the drosera picture...what is that rely tall one with the big stem?

It's hard to make it out in the picture, but it's a tall D. madagascariensis growing up a dead branch that they stuck in there for support. It looked pretty cool.

Capslock

ha im looking at the wrong one...the one behind it...is that D. adaele!?!? its huge!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. i hope to be able to go to a CP meeting some time.... i live in kentucky...are there any societies around here?
Alex

Alex, That is a nice D. regia. There were 2 there at the show that I remember and if Im not mistaken, the other one dwarfed the one in Max's pic.

Cheers
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Aug. 27 2006,7:25)]Alex, That is a nice D. regia. There were 2 there at the show that I remember and if Im not mistaken, the other one dwarfed the one in Max's pic.

Cheers
Steve
*faints*

I want to know what Sarracenia that was that looked black! You could see the top of the pitcher in one of the nepenthes phots! Its the photo with "Peter D'Amato brought his namesake cultivar of N. lowii x ventricosa" over it. I WANT TO FIND OUT WHAT THAT IS BECAUSE I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!! That would be so awesome. All the nepenthes are awesome too. Thanks for sharing!

I need to make it to one of these shows some day, I would be drooling! and Want to take home 30-40 plants... when I only have room for 3-4 more...

The N. x 'Predator' is awesome. that pitcher/leaf ratio is great! the N. veitchii is amazing ,too!

love the veitchii..............wonder if its the same clone as mine?

great pics Caps!

Awwwwwww...it looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for the photos. Next time, try to get some pics of the forum folks...including yourself.

The plants are just fantastic. You shore grow them thar plants BIG out west. lol I wonder how CA plants compare to TX plants.
smile.gif

Thanks for the photos. I wish I could go.

*drools at the N. Predator*

I wish there was something like that around here. :/

Zoiks! What great photos....of fantastic plants!

Sounds like you had a great time!

Now go buy your plain ticket for the October show in Rhone Island!

Hey Caps,
Gr8 meeting youin person.( I mean putting a face to the name )
Those are some wonderful photos. thanx so much for posting them.
Lois

Could someone please tell me the identity of the Sarr in this picture?

de543212.jpg

I know the picture is of a nepenthes, but there is th top of a sarr in there too. The REAL dark one. That is the plant I would like an identity to.  Thanks

That Sar is a hybrid involving moorei. I read the tag at the show, but I don't remember the exact cross.

ahhh
smile_h_32.gif
I would love to find out what that was. I like the dark almost black color. Thanks Jim Hopefully someone else will know what it is. If I could atleast find out what the cross is I might be able to make my own or find the cross. My luck thought I will not end up with something as dark. Thanks

That looks like one of my babies; S. flava rubricorpora x moorei "Big Red". They all turned out black.

Email California Carnivores. It was on his show table.

Stephen
www.carnivorousplants.homestead.com

Back