What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hey wolf9striker............here are some pics

of part my hunting area. i generally hunt an area that runs roughly 20 miles north to south and 40 miles east to west in a normal hunting year though this kinda country extends for a couple hundred miles west before hitting a town. we hunt elk, deer and pronghorn through it all though the speed goats are rare in the timber around the lake, elk and mule deer are found about anywhere. there are jeep trails and some roads but most of it is hike in or via horse back though there are places where horse isnt even an option due to the terrain. please keep in mind, the horizon in these pictures is a minimum of 5 miles away
42a38b28.jpg

aeb66fbb.jpg

c84a1103.jpg

37b9ef83.jpg

3fd65c22.jpg

c97caa02.jpg

eacb7ee9.jpg

28813dc2.jpg

a fire went through here bout 10 years ago?
c39f1f8b.jpg

d582cb7b.jpg

05fb9b2c.jpg

so do yah still think using a scoped rifle makes hunting to easy?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

here are some elk. the picture was taken in a no hunting area and they are used to ppl. you normally dont get this close without some sneaking. they were about 200 feet away from me, not paying me much attention.
0f5e84e2.jpg

23e98d04.jpg

im my first post, 2nd picture. those arent bushes, those are cottonwood trees roughly 65 feet tall. what you are seeing is the tops of them sticking out of the creek bottom running through the flat. there is about a 30 foot drop down to creek level thats been eroded away. ill get more pics of this kinda thing in the future when i do more scouting. i was just taking pics from the main road.

Holy smokes. I have elk hunted in colorado and thought that was barren!! I was unways under the inpression that Montana was a very wooded area. Yes I see why bowhunting in those conditions would be rough. I also have never seen elk that are fine being out in such an open area. And wow do you have quite the large area to hunt. I hunt a 200 acre patch of wooded a swampland here in MI but I cannot see any longer then 200 yards in the most open of areas.

it is very forested.................in the western half.............the eastern half looks like this. ill take my camera with me down in the timbered coulees this fall. there are places where visibility is well under 200 yards, same if yah get down in the creek bottom, you can only see as far as the creek is straight which is usually less than 100 yards. you have 30 foot walls of clay on either side of you for the most part

Back