What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

low blood sugar

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
when i throw up (no i'm not bulimic) i feel horrible, lightheaded, etc. i feel like i've had blood drawn. is this low blood sugar? why would puking make my sugar low?

i've been tested for diabetes since it runs in my family, so i'm clean. i'm tested like once a year with my annual bloodwork.

Well, I hate to pry, but why are you throwing up? If something is causing you to throw up regularly, you really need to consult a doctor. Vomiting tends to drain you of fluids and electrolytes, not to mention depriving you of any nutrition that might've been derived from what was in your stomach. It's also just very strenuous - it takes a lot of muscle power to push things out of your body. So, I'd guess what you're feeling is a mixture of exhaustion and dehydration. If you're vomiting regularly, then malnourishment may have something to do with it too.
After you throw up, make sure to drink lots of fluids; water is good, but you also lose various soluable minerals and electrolytes that make up your digestive fluids, so something with sodium and potassium (like Gatorade or other sports drinks) is much better. If that isn't handy, try a multivitamin or some bananas with plenty of water - if you can stomach them. Don't force yourself to eat much until your stomach has settled; one of the worst things you can do for chronic nausea is to keep putting things back in when you can't keep them down.
Take care,
~Joe

it's not a regular thing, i ate some old pizza that looked good but i guess it's not lol. it's in the trash now
smile_t_32.gif

confused.gif

ohh yuck, I naturaly get low blood sugar, its like hypo or hyper glycemia, I dont rember what it is, Its in the family. which preaty much sucks.

But yea what he said, throwing up just isnt good in general, tears up youre esophogas, and yea... You get the picture.

get better soon?

I hate throwing up worse than anything.
smile_t_32.gif
I fight it to the bitter end.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I hate throwing up worse than anything.
smile_t_32.gif
I fight it to the bitter end.

Ditto! The worst is when it starts, and you know there's nothing you can do about it. My mouth starts watering torrents- then I know the fight is almost all over and the inevatable will happen.

Boo vomit!

oh yeah i'm fine now. thanks guys

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My mouth starts watering torrents- then I know the fight is almost all over and the inevatable will happen.

lol Same here. When the saliva starts pouring...you better run. Ugh.

Good to hear Clint. Throwing up is awful. I wish it were easier for me to throw up when I need to; my body absolutely refuses to throw up until it's totally necessary. About the only thing that can make me throw up is bad chicken/eggs, and even then it takes about two to four days of indigestion, headaches and flu-like symptoms before my stomach gives in. I try all sorts of things - drinking water, wretching, even hitting myself in the gut - but I always just end up waiting it out. Horrible.
~Joe

I'm glad your feeling better Clint!The last time I felt like/did vomit is when I was trying to pass a kidney stone,those of you who have had these know how painfull they are!Those of you who have not,I hope you NEVER get any!

Jerry

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I try all sorts of things - drinking water, wretching, even hitting myself in the gut - but I always just end up waiting it out. Horrible.

Tried ipecac or any other vomit-inducers? I know that ipecac is for more serious situtions when you need to reeeeally empty out your stomach good, but there might be less extreme ones (or a lower dose might do it.) When it's a matter of inducing vomiting or ending up with food posioning or something, I'd rather not wait it out.

Ipecac is far worse than ordinary vomiting. The taste doesn't leave your memory (or mouth) for weeks. Sometimes when I get food poisoning it just goes away, so waiting is usually the best option. I appreciate your concern, though. I just have sorry luck when it comes to my health.
~Joe

Try throwing out anything in your refrigerator that has a green fuzzy coating. That works.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ Aug. 31 2006,7:03)]Try throwing out anything in your refrigerator that has a green fuzzy coating. That works.
biggrin.gif
Start with the ones that are moving first.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ipecac is far worse than ordinary vomiting. The taste doesn't leave your memory (or mouth) for weeks. Sometimes when I get food poisoning it just goes away, so waiting is usually the best option. I appreciate your concern, though. I just have sorry luck when it comes to my health.

Yeah, it's pretty harsh stuff made especially for the more unpleasant/life threatening situtions where you ingested something that you really shouldn't have. I'd be interested to know if there were any alternatives that're less extreme- I'll have to do some reading!

Since you say the taste/memory stays with you for so long- at that point I'd probably rather just die an agonizing death as my insideres burned, fizzled, and eventually exploded in an "umpf" of finality.

smile_n_32.gif

Back