What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stolen plant

So I thought I'd bring a Capensis home and leave it on my porch to enjoy. The neighbors admired it and loved it. A week later... gone. Easy to replace but...

confused.gif

Jerk faces, they should shove it up their nose! Thats what they Want you to think!

yeah, it's sad because I know anyone who took it knows not how to care for it.

im sure its a 1 in like 200/300 chance that people will know and or care how to care for it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kahnli @ Sep. 01 2006,11:18)]yeah, it's sad because I know anyone who took it knows not how to care for it.
I hear ya. That's exactly what I felt and said when I had a few Nep cuttings sitting on a fence, on the front porch.

I was going to start a new topic about the new capensis I found just sitting there on a New Haven porch, but it seems to fit here.

Just about all my plants are within 20 ft of the sidewalk and some of the best are within reach of anyone walking by.  I stand on the sidewalk to water the three largest Neps, for instance.  The best combination of growing conditions in my little yard is there, so my alternatives are to either risk having plants stolen or to not have them at all.  As far as I know, no plants have ever "walked away".  A couple bromeliads have disappeared at work, but if I didn't take them all to work for the winter I couldn't have them at all.

Odd, this plant theft...

I was downtown at the market last week and they were selling "money trees", them little 5-leaved thingies, when I said aloud "Wait a minute... WE had one of them"
Sure enough, HAD was the right word... Last I saw it, it was on the front porch... since we get pretty high winds sometimes, I figured it had fallen into one of our hostas or something, but after searching for it, nothing...
I had bought it as a tiny rooted cutting or something, for a dollar in one of them 1" pots and kept it sorta bonsai, it only had maybe 3 "branches"

Kinda bums me out, mostly cos I can't for the life of me imagine who would take such a thing.. my only theory is that some stupid kid thought it was a pot plant.. I hope whoever it was smoked it and went to the hospital, THEN got their hide tanned (or grounded HARD) for their trouble

And I hope you can find another D.capensis, shouldn't be too hard but replacing stuff you should still have kinda stinks

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ Sep. 02 2006,10:28)]And I hope you can find another D.capensis, shouldn't be too hard but replacing stuff you should still have kinda stinks
oh, it was just an extra "narrow" form that I had at the greenhouse. I figured I'd bring home for people to enjoy... that'll learn me.

Well, I came home from buying a new tie (a really nice grey one) and look up and there it is... MY plant is in my upstairs neighbors window!
mad.gif

I know that I'm currently weeded (as a lot of us are) with capensis but this still makes me angry.

Know how to get the best of them? Print up a nice detailed care sheet for it and tape it to their door. Should be good for a guilt trip and that way they will know that you know what they did.

The joys of psychological warfare LOL

hehe- I LOVE that Pyro!! Good call

come on, if you're gonna steal something atleast do a better job at hiding it. They put it their front window!

I like that Pyro... It's similar to what i was thinking. Only mine was gonna be a lost poster I was gonna slip under their door. Letting them know that I could give them one if they'd like and show them how to care for it.

What jerks!

Pyro that was good!

Oh, congrats on the new tie
smile.gif

If it was me I'd go get my plant back by any way.

i agree with pyro... haha...i say you give them contitions that are impossible to do and lets see how they squirm... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
confused.gif

In a window where you can see it?!? That's giving crime a bad reputation.

stealing a capensis, of all things. that's like a thief breaking into someone's house, ignoring the new stereo, TV, and computer, and walking out with the toaster.

then prominently displaying it in a highly visible location.

these guys suck at being thieves.

it has been returned...

haha! did you scold them? did they say why they took it?

Back