What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Antalopes

• Thread starter Lauderdale
  • Start date
Rattler,
I heard Nevada Fish and Game has authorized a special hunting season for 250 antalopys and they are going to capture 350 more to be shipped out of the state. You suppose you’ll get any up in your neck of the woods?

“What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”. Guess that’s not true anymore.

why we breed plenty of our own
smile_n_32.gif
the speed goat population in Montana and Wyoming is extreamly healthy so much so around here that there are extra tags availible over the counter every year in the south east corner. dont know where NV would be shipping them. they are far from endangered or even uncommon through their present range. infact outside of hunting season they are one of the easiest of the "large" critters to find and photograph. they get a lil jumpy after opening weekend though. they race me all the time in the summer going out to the cabin. lil buggers think its fun to speed up and pass me while im doing 45-50 down a gravel road

Glad to hear they are doing so well in the wild.  What do they taste like Rattler?
I photographed a flock...school...herd???, outside of Jackson Hole.  They are cute little devils.
Maybe they will ship some to Florida.  It would be kinda' neat to finaly see something actually moving fast down I-95 during rush hour.  Maybe we could cross breed them with key deer.  They would probably make good gator and puma food.

its herd. doubt they will got to FL, the like open ground and dont fair to well in the swamps
smile_n_32.gif
actually doubt cougars feed on many of them. 'yotes and eagles get some but they arent in the brush/trees enough for cougars to effectivly hunt them and wolves dont stand a chance in hell at wearing them down. they can run at 35mph for hours on end. 'yotes and eagles take the fawns, hunters get the adults and winters kill off a few to alot depending on the snow. very few preditors stand a chance at catching a healthy adult speed goat.

as for taste, depends on the critter. shoot one at daylight before they get run alot and they are as fine as any deer. get one thats been run alot and has its juices all worked up and yah might as well just turn it into salami and give up on steaks. i generally give up hunting for meat after about 8-8:30a.m. and hunt for horns. if yah have a weak stomach you dont want to hunt goats, very few things smell worse than a rutted up buck whos been defending his does and when your done field dressing one, guess what you smell like till you get a shower and change of clothes
smile_n_32.gif

smile_t_32.gif

LOL PAK
smile_n_32.gif
anymore after shooting and packing one out i head straight back to camp for a shower and change of clothes.

I had a roommate years ago who helped supervise an archaeology dig in Wyoming and they had a special field day for politicians and funders and media and so on.  The highlight was to butcher an antelope with stone tools they made on-site.

My roommate had a skull collection, so he kept the antelope head and put it in a nearby stream for the last week or two before he came home.  On his 2nd day home, the rest of us came home from work to find him boiling that nasty, rotting thing.  I swear it coated the walls with that oily goat smell and it lasted for days.  I think that one must have been killed after a long run.

Back