What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.Can't Find Server

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Last night I was at the church computer and all was well. This morning I wanted to go to the Humboldt site, which is best done at this computer because it has a Broadband connection. But I couldn't pull up a homepage or an Internet site. I tried closing out the browser and trying another, as well as restarting the computer. No go. My pc, the windows 98 / dial up dinosaur, is having no problems. The last time I saw something like this was when I was at the lab, with their DSL connection. The computer guru for the lab occasionally went into something and had to update the LAN settings, and then all was well. So I am thinking that this possibly coud be the case. Would anybody know or can anybody talk me through, step by step, how to update the LAN settings? Thanks in advance

A "cannot find server" error is a generic message that is simply telling you that your computer cannot connect to the server you are trying to.  It could mean anything from the server itself being down to your PC not even being connected to the internet correctly.  Since you receive that on every page, it's safe to assume that the problem is on your end.

Could you give me details on how you are setup?  Is your computer connected directly to the modem or going through a router?  Can you open a dos window* and type "ping nightscapecreations.com"?  What does it tell you?  How about "ping 64.70.191.211"?  How about "tracert 64.70.191.211"?  This will give us a better idea of what's going on.

* To open a dos window go to the start menu and then run.  Type "cmd" and then click OK.

One other thought. This will only help in limited circumstances, but you could try typing the following at the DOS prompt: "ipconfig /renew". There's a small probability that will fix your problem.

Lemme get back to you on that one! I'm at home right now, but my next opportunity to sneak onto the church computer will be tomorrow evening. Thank you for the direction!

Edit: I just asked my wife and she said it goes through a router.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Sep. 07 2006,9:19)]Edit: I just asked my wife and she said it goes through a router.
In that case, are there any other computers also connected to the internet through that same router?  If so, try each of them and see if they can get to various web pages okay.  If they can, and this computer still cannot, then that narrows down the problem to the system itself and indicates the router and network are okay.

Do you know what time you will be down there tomorrow?  If you can let me know in advance I can try to be online at the time.

Thanks for your suppport! It turns out that the pastor has already been apprised of the situation and this has not been the first time that this has happened. He "fixed it" some time today and when I get a chance, I'll ask him what he did.

Back